What to choose: Physics vs geometry

In summary, the speaker has an undergraduate degree in Physics from an Indian University and is currently pursuing a masters in theoretical physics in the UK. They have taken courses in differential geometry and general relativity, as well as QFT, but are unsure if they want to continue in physics or switch to pure math. They are interested in studying QFT from a geometric perspective, but are facing challenges with visa constraints and PhD positions. They are seeking advice on how to decide which path to take.
A Dhingra
Hi everyone,

I have an undergrad in Physics from an Indian University. And presently I am pursuing a masters in theoretical physics in UK.
Here I got a chance to explore courses in the math department. I took two courses in geometry : Differential geometry and Geometry of General Relativity. I found them hard in the beginning, but with time I have started to enjoy them a lot.
Other than these two, I took about 4 courses in QFT and found them okay. When I read about connection between ideas of differential geometry (Riemann Manifold) and Non-abelian Gauge theories, I was pretty excited to go on and study QFT from the prescriptive of Geometry. But unfortunately, the focus of these QFT courses was from the point of view of particle physicist, which I didn't seem to enjoy.
With the end of my degree I have to decide what field I must select for PhD. Like I said, I am a bit stuck between physics and geometry... The way I have found the working in the particle physics group I am a little discouraged to continue with physics, plus I have found a new interest in geometry. But I do not have much of a background in pure math, till date, I have done a little bit of real and complex analysis from the point of view of a physicist, thus it can't be even called pure math, and that's about it. I want to take a couple of courses in topology, algebraic geometry and things that deal with all this and discover if I find this more interesting as compared to physics.
Also, I have tried studying solid states, I found it better than QFT, and in fact, I have chosen my end of the year project in Solid states.
Now if I decide to stay in physics, I want to study it from the perspective of geometry, as much as I can. On the other hand, if I decide to switch from physics to maths, I have no clue how to go about it. Staying in physics sounds easier but I don't want to let go off geometry.
Just to describe that the situation is a bit complicated for me: I can't stay in UK for another masters (Visa constraints); I haven't got any PhD positions yet, in fact, I applied only for one position that too in Solid States; I can't do a PhD in India as a one year masters isn't acceptable there, and I can't switch from physics to maths there either; I am probably unqualified to take GRE maths for US. So, if anyone of you could suggest an option where I can study QFT from the perspective of Geometry (or Quanutm Gravity or String theory) and how should I decide which way to go?

Thank you for bearing with me..
I appreciate your help

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your ultimate goal is to make a living and not be dependent upon graduate fellowships and public support go with the physics, you will always be using the geometry in your work. Find an applied field where you can be productive, not just theoretical. String theory is great for coffeehouse conversation but it won’t pay the rent unless you are another Stephen Hawkins.

1. What is the main difference between physics and geometry?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, and positions of objects.

2. Which subject is more applicable in daily life?

Both physics and geometry have practical applications in daily life. Physics helps us understand the laws and principles that govern the physical world, while geometry is used in fields such as architecture, engineering, and graphic design.

3. Is one subject more challenging than the other?

It depends on a person's strengths and interests. Physics involves understanding complex concepts and mathematical equations, while geometry requires spatial reasoning and visualization skills. Both subjects can be challenging in their own ways.

4. Can I study both physics and geometry simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to study both subjects simultaneously. In fact, many concepts in physics, such as kinematics and optics, rely heavily on geometric principles. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in both subjects before attempting to integrate them.

5. Which subject is more important for a career in science or engineering?

Both physics and geometry are essential for a career in science or engineering. Physics provides the fundamental principles and laws for understanding the physical world, while geometry is used in practical applications such as designing structures and analyzing data. It is beneficial to have knowledge and skills in both subjects for a successful career in these fields.