Are colors a result of electrons or the atoms themselves?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TofuSubmarine
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Atoms Electrons
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
TofuSubmarine
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi Everyone.

I am confused about the science of colors. I will use an example in my question. I know that the color blue is caused by atoms reflecting blue wavelengths of light and absorbing other wavelengths of light. What I don't understand, however, is which part of the atom actually absorbs the other wavelengths of light? Does the atom as a whole absorb the wavelengths other than blue, or do its electrons do that? If the atom as a whole absorbs these wavelengths of light, how does it do that? And if electrons are responsible for absorbing these wavelengths of light other than blue, why don't they emit these colors when they drop back down to a lower energy level?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is probably not the answer you are looking for because it has nothing to do with atoms, but color is perception and is not as straightforward as what wavelengths are entering your eye. You might want to look into Edwin Land's 'color constancy' theory:

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: artyb
I would think that the unreflected light is converted into heat, which could be re-radiated as infrared or conducted away into the surroundings.