Are Commutative Algebra and Algebraic Geometry useful for physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential usefulness of taking courses in Commutative Algebra and Algebraic Geometry for physics. The speakers mention possible applications in string theory, quantum gravity, and mathematical physics, but also acknowledge that these topics may not be directly relevant for most physicists. Overall, the consensus is that taking these courses would primarily be beneficial for those interested in the subject matter itself rather than for practical applications in physics.
nonequilibrium
Are "Commutative Algebra" and "Algebraic Geometry" useful for physics?

Hello,

I'm considering taking Commutative Algebra, and perhaps even Algebraic Geometry (for which the previous is a prerequisite). In the first place I would take it for the enjoyment of mathematics and to give me an all-round mathematical education (even though I'm not into abstract algebra, leaning more toward analysis-type stuff, think differential geometry etc).

But I was wondering, is there also a value in, say, commutative algebra from a physicist point of view? (I suppose if one goes deep enough in string theory, one can find it being used somewhere but I hope you understand I'm (in the first place, at least) looking for a less terribly-specific application.)

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm, only place I'VE seen it kind of used has been quantum gravity papers, but those were dealing with algebraic geometry approach to the theories. From what i remember is you'll mainly be dealing with noetherian rings, and the "expanding" the idea to things like Krulls principle, Hilberts theorem, and things of that matter.

You'd probably enjoy the course if you like math, but if you want some physical application I think you'd benefit more from taking a class that deals with C* algebras than commutative algebra/algebraic geometry. You should find C* algebra being presented in functional analysis courses.

Good luck!

I'm sure it depends on what you are interested in (physics-wise). A couple of my instructors last year do research in mathematical physics and are algebraic geometers. I know group theory is useful for at least some people studying physics.

Yes it can be valuable... I'd assume most people working in theoretical physics would have at least basic knowledge of such topics as commutative algebra and algebraic geometry: they can pop up all over the place. The mathematical physics program at my university actually requires students to take at least some abstract algebra (although it isn't emphasized as much in physics it is incredibly useful to have around!)

Sure, but it depends on what you are trying to do. For example, algebraic geometry is completely unavoidable in string theory. Calabi-Yau manifolds are a certain special type of complex variety. Mirror symmetry is of great interest to both string theorists and algebraic geometers. Even stacks can arise - this paper gives an excellent overview: http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0608056

It can sometimes come up away from string theory as well. For example, Grothendieck's motives have a connection to (massless, scalar) perturbative quantum field theory.

A lot of algebraic geometry used in physics seems to be of more interest to mathematicians (I have never met a physicist who computed a Feynman amplitude from the period of a motive), but I could just be biased since I do math.

Allow me to be of dissenting opinion.

If you want to take it for the pleasure of learning mathematics, that's wonderful.

If you do experimental physics, it will be of zero use to you.

If you do theoretical physics, I would say the odds are still very stacked against you ever using it.

1. How are Commutative Algebra and Algebraic Geometry used in physics?

Commutative Algebra and Algebraic Geometry are used in physics to study and model physical systems using algebraic structures and techniques. They provide a powerful mathematical framework for analyzing and understanding complex physical phenomena.

2. What specific applications of Commutative Algebra and Algebraic Geometry have been useful in physics?

Some specific applications include using commutative algebra to study quantum systems, analyzing symmetry and conservation laws in physics using algebraic geometry, and using sheaf theory to study gauge theories in particle physics.

3. How do Commutative Algebra and Algebraic Geometry contribute to our understanding of fundamental physics theories?

These fields provide insights into the underlying mathematical structures of fundamental theories such as quantum mechanics, general relativity, and the Standard Model of particle physics. They also allow for the formulation of new theories and models.

4. Are there any limitations to using Commutative Algebra and Algebraic Geometry in physics?

While these fields have been successful in many areas of physics, they may not be applicable to all physical systems. Additionally, they often require advanced mathematical knowledge and techniques, which can be challenging for some physicists to grasp.

5. Are there any ongoing research areas where Commutative Algebra and Algebraic Geometry are being applied in physics?

Yes, there is ongoing research in using algebraic techniques to study quantum field theories, topological phases of matter, and emergent phenomena in condensed matter systems. There is also a growing interest in applying algebraic methods to cosmology and quantum gravity.