Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Are dark matter quarks displaced by visible matter?

1. Jun 6, 2018 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2018 #2

PeterDonis

Staff: Mentor

Moderator's note: Moved to high energy physics forum as that is more appropriate for the subject matter.

4. Jun 7, 2018 #3
    In this paper, "strongly interacting" does not mean interacting via the strong nuclear force, it means interacting via a new force whose coupling constant is large. (Just as when they say that WIMPs are "weakly interacting", it doesn't mean that they interact via the weak nuclear force.)

In this model, the dark quarks form dark baryons which condense into a superfluid. I presume that the original question is asking whether this superfluid is displaced by the presence of ordinary matter, in the way that water is displaced by a submerged object. The answer should be no, since the normal matter and the dark matter do not interact except gravitationally.

For me, the novelty of the paper is its explanation of the cosmological baryon asymmetry. It's common to suppose that the asymmetry was generated in some other sector (e.g. "leptogenesis") and then induced in the baryonic sector. Here the asymmetry arises among the dark baryons, and is then transmitted to the standard model baryons via gravitational waves! I had no idea that was possible. (The idea originates in their reference 4.)

5. Jun 8, 2018 #4

PeterDonis

Staff: Mentor

The OP question has been addressed. Thread closed.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook