Are DNA replication, transcription and translation just chemical reactions?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
DB
Messages
501
Reaction score
0
Are the whole processes of DNA, RNA, ribosomes, amino acids and proteins all just "chemical reactions" or is there something more to it?

I know the way it works from DNA to protein but why?

I understand this question might have a very complex anwser but a brief explanation would be apreciated. :biggrin: Thnx
 
Biology news on Phys.org
What else would there be to it? Things like electrostatic interactions, hydrophobic interactions, spatial interactions (geometry), enzymatic catalyzations etc?
 
I persume you are looking for the central dogma of biology.

Have a look at these links:

http://www.cbs.dtu.dk/staff/dave/DNA_CenDog.html
http://www.johnkyrk.com/

They are 'chemical' reaction alright, in the sense that the whole process is exchange between bonds (peptide bonds, hydrolysis etc) etc. However, it is to such a complexity i would catagorize differently