Are drilled rotors better for brake cooling?

• Thread starter kgbgru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brake
In summary: I think it's just for road driving.In summary, the author is researching what brake pads to buy and is unsure of whether drilled or slotted rotors are better. They advise readers not to bother with drilled rotors and to buy proper ones, or to know what they are doing if they want to use them.
kgbgru
Hello all,.
I have been doing work on my brakes and now I would like to get new brake rotors. I replaced the standard brake pads with performance pads; I love them, and now I want even more. I already am going to replace the tires but I can't decide what brake pads I want.
I have read that drilled rotors help keep the brakes cooler but I have also read that they weaken the rotor, since you are drilling holes in them. Can anyone give me a yea or nay on slotted rotors. I just don't know enough to make a reasonable estimate.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That depends whether the "drilled" rotors were cast like that, or were just OEM blanks and then drilled :eek:

Either don't bother, buy proper ones, or know absolutely what you're doing. The thought of a disc failing under use fills me with dread. And as my dad says, brakes are only one of the things that can stop you.

Brake discs that are designed with drilled holes are no more likely to fail than any other drake disc. (Well they are but will be like 99.9% as reliable under road use)

However don't expect better braking becuase you have drilled discs. If you are using them for the road you are wasting your money as discs won't get hot enough to fade.

Either go for bigger dics, or a bigger caliper.

Drilling holes in the rotor is a trade off. The advantage is that it keeps the rotor cooler under heavy load. The disadvantage is that there is less effective surface area and braking power is reduced and the rate of wear is increased. As noted above, if you're using your car for general transportation than there is absolutely no reason to get drilled rotors unless you want some kind of "cool" factor.

no one ,,repeat ..NO ONE runs drilled rotors any more..they are ok on a go cart but forget it on a car. the thinking was that it helped cooling and in the old days it may have. not with new technology, now rotor manufacturers mill in vents to remove the gas build up on the pad/rotor surface.
drilled rotors will warp much easier than non drilled rotors and will crack easier than non drilled. save your money and if you want to improve your disc brake performance, add some cooling ducts, to the front where all the weight is.

Attachments

• rotor.jpg
    rotor.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,120
Drilled rotors are probably advisable for the front brakes of motorcycles, because they do the bulk of the braking and you don't want fade in that application, especially in heavy bikes. Automotive brakes are already designed well for their intended use, and shouldn't be tinkered with.

I can speak only to their use on motorcycles, but drilled rotors improve wet braking performance.

What about slotted rotors? Yea or nay.

Yes, but please don't do it yourself unless you know what you're doing! I use slotted rotors on my Seven and the wet weather braking performance seems loads better than before.

I always understood that the drilled / slotted brake discs were of a different (and suitable) material.
If your knowledge of materials is appropriate then you will know whether it is appropriate to drill them. If not, don't - on pain of death, perhaps.

This is a similar thing to "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it".

If you are asking about drilled discs you don't have the experience to drill them yourself. However if you are asking about buying drilled/vented/slotted discs that's a different story. I suspect the OP realizes taking a drill to a disc is a bad idea and that he was going to buy new.

To be honest upgrading pads/discs/calipers is all pointless for stopping faster on the road unless you buy much better tyres. As standard brakes are enough to lock the wheels and fade isn't an issue.

One thing that needs to be asked that hasn't been is: Why are you doing this? Is it just for road driving, or track days, or races? The responce to this question will likely change the answers we give.

not sure

1. What is the difference between drilled and non-drilled brake rotors?

The main difference between drilled and non-drilled brake rotors is the presence of holes on the surface of the rotor. Drilled rotors have strategically placed holes that help dissipate heat and gas buildup, while non-drilled rotors have a solid surface.

2. Are drilled brake rotors more effective at stopping a vehicle?

There is no clear consensus on whether drilled rotors are more effective at stopping a vehicle compared to non-drilled rotors. While the holes may help with heat and gas dissipation, they can also reduce the surface area of the rotor and potentially decrease its overall effectiveness.

3. Do drilled brake rotors last longer than non-drilled rotors?

There is no definitive answer to this question as the lifespan of a brake rotor depends on various factors such as driving habits, vehicle weight, and type of brake pads used. However, drilled rotors may be more prone to cracking due to the stress placed on the holes.

4. Are drilled brake rotors more expensive than non-drilled rotors?

In general, drilled brake rotors are more expensive than non-drilled rotors due to the additional manufacturing process and materials involved. However, the price difference may vary depending on the brand and type of rotor.

5. Are drilled brake rotors suitable for all types of vehicles?

Drilled brake rotors are not recommended for heavy-duty vehicles such as trucks or SUVs as the holes may weaken the rotor and reduce its effectiveness. They are more commonly used on high-performance or racing cars where weight and heat dissipation are critical factors.