Are Electrons the Building Blocks of Our Universe?

• B
  • Thread starter Rev. Cheeseman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary: There may not be many in a neutron...In summary, the question is raised about the belief that electrons are everywhere nowadays. However, the concept of electrons being everywhere is based on their wave functions which extend everywhere, but this does not mean they are actually present everywhere. In quantum mechanics, there is no counterfactual definiteness, so until an electron is measured, its exact location cannot be determined. Electrons can be found in a wire, but their probability of being found in empty space is very low. While each individual electron's wave function may extend to infinity, the probability of it "tunneling" a huge distance is extremely small. There have been cases where a single electron has disappeared and been found in a different lab, highlighting
Seems like we cannot combine the classical physics (i.e relativistic cosmology) with quantum physics into a new single hypothesis as the former assumed electrons to be collections of discrete particles while the latter assumed electrons to be more of "wavy" things. I can understand why the quantum guys assumed electrons wavefunctions extend forever.

Therefore, if we assumed the universe to be finite then everything inside it will be finite while if we assumed the universe to be infinite then the extension of gravity and others such as electrons are infinite.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to discuss about the challenges in creating a quantum theory of gravity then you should open a new thread in the beyond the standard model forum. Personally, I have no idea if the issue you mention is actually a problem or not.

Dale said:
Personally, I have no idea if the issue you mention is actually a problem or not.
Which one? The statement "electrons are everywhere"?

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
wonderingchicken said:
I thought we already decided that one was nonsensical.
wonderingchicken said:
Seems like we cannot combine the classical physics (i.e relativistic cosmology) with quantum physics
I thought "classical Physics" was older than that.
Look up "Theory of Everything" for some interesting reading - but beware of nonsense posts in there.

It seems that you still want to carry on this thread on your own terms but things are just not as simple as you would like them to be.

wonderingchicken said:
No, I already responded thoroughly to that statement, which as a stated multiple times does not accurately reflect what the math says.

I was referring to your new statement “we cannot combine the classical physics (i.e relativistic cosmology) with quantum physics into a new single hypothesis as the former assumed electrons to be collections of discrete particles while the latter assumed electrons to be more of "wavy" things”. I don’t know if that new statement accurately represents any of the reasons that a quantum theory of gravity is challenging (I doubt it). You should ask about that in the appropriate forum.

Likes Vanadium 50 and sophiecentaur
This is close place to end this discussion. Thanks to all that have participated.

Thread closed.

• Skeptical
Likes sophiecentaur and Rev. Cheeseman