Are Galaxies Moving Faster Than Light Due to Space Expansion?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter user9003
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Expansion Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 6K views
Bandersnatch said:
But the now-velocity of the galaxy and the emission-velocity was mixed up. I.e., it should read 3.62c at emission, and 2.08c now - not the other way around.
Did I mix that up? If so, I of course meant it the other way around (:
Edit: I see, I was obviously too stupid to read my own chart (:
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
user9003 said:
hence the 5 km/s value is not known unless a absolute frame of reference is defined. isn't this correct
No. It isn't correct. The 5km/s value is simply relative to some arbitrary reference frame.
 
Bandersnatch said:
the now-velocity of the galaxy and the emission-velocity was mixed up. I.e., it should read 3.62c at emission, and 2.08c now - not the other way around

Ah, got it.
 
On the x-axis you have the redshift (as observed today), and on the y-axis the recessional velocity (orange is the velocity at emission and brown at absorption)

7.gif


You see that objects with z < 1.8963 are faster today than they were when they emitted the light we receive now (the relative distance since then has changed more than the scale factor), while objects with z > 1.8963 are slower now than they were when they emitted their light (the expansion rate fell more than the distance increased while the light travelled).