Are gamma rays produced in fusion reactions?

In summary, the conversation discussed the role of gamma rays in fusion reactions and how they fit into fuel cycle equations. It was mentioned that gamma rays are produced afterward as syncrotron or bremsstrahlung radiation and that their energy can vary depending on the fuel cycle. The conversation also touched on the distinction between gamma rays and X-rays and provided sources for further reading on the topic. Finally, there was a brief discussion on calculating the energy fraction carried by gamma rays in a fusion reaction.
MnemosyneAH
Lots of articles and papers I read talk about the gamma rays produced during fusion reactions. And yet, when I look at equations for fuel cycles, the sum of the energies of the fusion products equals the total energy liberated.

Since this implies that all of the energy released in the fusion reaction is in the form of kinetic energy carried by the reaction products, where do gamma rays fit in? Are they produced afterward, as syncrotron or bremsstrahlung radiation?

Either way, does anyone know how much energy is carried as gamma rays for various fuel cycles, or can point me to a website that does? I'm especially interested in the 3He-3He cycle.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gamma emission occurs in the reaction: p + d -> He3 + γ

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/astro/procyc.html

The distinction between gamma rays and X-rays is somewhat arbitrary, since a 100 keV gamma is the same as a 100 keV X-ray. The distinction is related to the origin. X-rays are generally defined at those photons originating from atomic reactions, i.e. transitions from atomic electrons, with photon energies above ultraviolet. Brehmstrahlung (braking radiation) originates from free electrons accelerating in a nuclear electric field. Synchrotron radiation is probably distinguished from gamma radiation since it is usually originating from an accelerated proton or light nucleus.

Gamma emission occurs in the (p,γ) reactions of the CNO cycle.
http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/energy/cno.html

So what you're saying is, aside from a few reactions, and discounting synchrotron and braking radiation, the equations are right and the energy generally is carried as kinetic energy?

The sources I read must have been referring to bremsstrahlung x-rays. That explains why I wasn't able to find any better data on these fusion gamma rays.

This actually makes it easier for me, since I'm self-teaching myself nuclear
physics, and this is one less channel to keep in mind.

Last edited:
In the fusion of light elements, the reactions involve a restructuring the nuclei, and in general the resulting energy is 'carried as kinetic energy'.

Usually a confined plasma implies a magnetic field (as opposed to inertial confinement), and the motion of electrons about the field lines produces 'cyclotron radiation'.

http://casa.colorado.edu/~wcash/APS3730/chapter5.pdf

http://casa.colorado.edu/~wcash/APS3730/textbook.htm

Brehmsstrahlung radiation is also possible and occurs when free electrons are accelerated by nuclear charges (protons and nuclei).

FYI - http://casa.colorado.edu/~wcash/APS3730/notes.htm

Gamma rays are more likely when fusion involves nuclei heavier than B, e.g., C, N, O. Of course, if free neutrons are present, they can be absorbed in (n, γ) reactions.

Last edited:
I think it's not so difficult to calculate the energy fraction that is carried away by a gamma ray photon. If one takes the mean energy of p and d in the sun (based on the temperature) and uses the masses of p, d and He3 one can calculate the energy of the gamma ray photon.

1. What are gamma rays?

Gamma rays are a type of electromagnetic radiation with a very high frequency and energy. They are the most energetic form of electromagnetic radiation and are often produced during nuclear reactions.

2. How are gamma rays produced in fusion reactions?

During fusion reactions, two atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases a tremendous amount of energy, which can be in the form of gamma rays. These gamma rays are produced as a result of the rearrangement of nucleons (protons and neutrons) in the nuclei.

3. Are gamma rays the only type of radiation produced in fusion reactions?

No, other types of radiation such as alpha and beta particles are also produced in fusion reactions. However, gamma rays are the most energetic and can travel long distances without being absorbed or deflected.

4. How are gamma rays detected in fusion reactions?

Gamma rays can be detected using specialized instruments such as gamma ray spectrometers. These instruments measure the energy and intensity of gamma rays emitted from a fusion reaction. Other methods include using scintillation detectors or semiconductor detectors.

5. What are the potential uses of gamma rays produced in fusion reactions?

Gamma rays have a variety of uses in fields such as medicine, industry, and research. They can be used for imaging and sterilization in medicine, material testing and inspection in industry, and studying the properties of matter and radiation in research. Gamma rays are also used in cancer treatment, where they can destroy cancer cells while minimizing damage to healthy tissue.