Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are Ionospheric Scramjets possible?

1. Feb 8, 2014 #1
    I was doing some Wikipedia browsing, and I came across the concept of Scramjets for spaceplanes. The highest estimate for a top speed of a scramjet in atmosphere is Mach 25, which is approximately orbital velocity. The ionosphere contains high levels of O, so would it be possible to fly a scramjet aircraft in it (at approx. 100km)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

High fraction does not mean high amount - the ionosphere is extremely thin. You don't get much oxygen there, and not much lift. You need a very high speed to counter this. 100km is at the Kármán line, where the required flight speed reaches the orbital speed - your "plane" becomes a satellite.

4. Feb 8, 2014 #3
    Thanks. Thing is that at Mach 25, surely even though it is very thin, you are taking in some? Do you know if such a scramjet would work, even if it had very low thrust? And for the sake of the theory, assume that there is no drag.

5. Feb 8, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I'm sure you can burn something, but airplanes are always a quantitative problem.
    The air is thin, but at that speed drag is relevant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook