Are Kilts Only for Men with Scottish Heritage?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
73 replies · 17K views
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
552
A remote relative of mine wears a kilt with pride, for heavens sake i would feel so much like a girl, could you wear a kilt.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Absolutely! :biggrin:


Don't forget to post pics wolram. :biggrin:
 
I wouldn't be ashamed to wear a kilt if somebody were to ask me. Then again I've been known to wear womans make-up in an oral exam :biggrin:
 
Wearing a kilt on the high plains of Colorado on a hot summer day where windy days are days with 45 mph winds (the normal days only have 25 mph winds)?

Woohoo! :smile:
 
I want to know who's going to wear a Mini-kilt.
 
Loren Booda said:
If I had some matching pipes.

Here you go.

5988984-checkered-cap-with-tobacco-pipe-isolated.jpg
 
Only if i could scream "FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOM".
 
I'd wear a kilt. I need to get on in the family (mom's side) tartan.
 
I got married in a kilt :)

We had pipes for the processional and recessional, but did not include any of more 'non-traditional' highland parts to the ceremony.

All of the guys in the wedding party wore one (including our dads, hers had never worn one before).

I also own 2 different Utilikilts which fit differently than modern 'real' kilts, but they're still very comfortable.

If I remember, I'll post a picture or two when I get home.

On wind: do you realize how heavy kilts are? :p They stay down VERY well.
 
My Scottish uncle was a singer/actor who would dress in full working-class-Sunday-best tartan to perform Burns' Suppers etc. One day about 20 years ago. while we were visiting, and walking through Glasgow, a bunch of pre-teen boys who were on the other side of a chain-link fence started taunting my uncle (he was suited up for a performance he did in a park):

"Oy! Are ye a Trrroo Scotsman?" "Have ye got a wee black dog too?" "Are ye wearing any knickers [underwear]?" "There's an Englishman he's trrrryin' tae kill ye!" "Och Aye! He's a trrroo Scotsman!"

It was so weird to hear these very Scottish boys mock the most prevalent icon of being Scottish. This is when it hit me: men DON'T wear kilts in Scotland, unless it is Sunday, or a wedding, or if they are in a Scottish regiment. In Scotland, men wear black cotton twill trousers. I have seen more people "walking around in kilts" here in the US then I have seen doing so in Scotland (stands to reason, since I don't actually live there).

Tha' doesnae answer the question, but. Would I wear a kilt? At a wedding, perhaps, if someone sprang for the $1000 for a decent getup. Cheap kilts look like skirts.
 
Borek said:
No problem, I have shapely legs.

May be you could do a photo shop, to give us a look, other wise i can only guess you have knobbly knees. :-p
 
wolram said:
May be you could do a photo shop, to give us a look, other wise i can only guess you have knobbly knees. :-p

I have hands and arms like sticks, but normal legs. But my legs are tanned in a funny way at the moment, so I look like an idiot and I am not going to take pictures. Last weeks I spent at least an hour a day on bike on average, in a lycra bike shorts, which means brown knees, white front of the leg below knee, sharp end of the tan in the mid thigh, and brown calf. Typical - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tan_line#Biker.27s_tan.

Good that I bought new shorts, with slightly longer legs than the previous ones, at least the end of the tan is no longer visible.
 
I intend to buy and wear a kilt to my cousin's wedding in Scotland this September. Got to find one with the "County Cork" pattern.
 
I don't typically wear anything outside that is shorter than a pair of pants personally. I might consider it for some sort of occasion though. There are a couple of people that frequent the bar I go to that wear kilts out just for fun.
 
TheStatutoryApe said:
There are a couple of people that frequent the bar I go to that wear kilts out just for fun.
What those are - are girls. You really need to get out more. :wink:
 
No
glossary_340.jpg


No
s_gloin_kilt.jpg


GOD NO!
ed-westwick-in-a-kilt.jpg


If I went to FIFA football game, especially against England, this is what you wear.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. Not going to wear one. You couldn't make me wear one. And even if you could make me wear one, you couldn't make me like it.
 
I want to see a pic of Astro in a kilt, he would make a great Highlander.
 
Not sure what the objection is.

Kilt are very manly.
 
DaveC426913 said:
Not sure what the objection is.

Kilt are very manly.

I don't generally disagree, but see pics 3 and 5 and you can tell:

not all kilts work for all men.
 
wolram said:
I want to see a pic of Astro in a kilt, he would make a great Highlander.
I'm a Highlander on my mom's side.
 
Astronuc said:
I'm a Highlander on my mom's side.
Sounds like pro wrestling.
 
If you've ever got caught in a zipper, a kilt may seem like a good idea. I noticed that some of them even come with their own caber-protection.

Have any women yet posted on this thread?
 
DaveC426913 said:
Not sure what the objection is.

Kilt are very manly.

If a man thinks wearing a kilt is manly, then he's super hot wearing one :!).

If he's not sure, he really shouldn't wear one :eek:.
 
lisab said:
If a man thinks wearing a kilt is manly, then he's super hot wearing one :!).

If he's not sure, he really shouldn't wear one :eek:.

This post needs pictures!

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.fortunecity.com/bally/tallow/51/boots.gif&sa=X&ei=NWzxTaDEDIL4sAOCm-CjDg&ved=0CAQQ8wc4FQ&usg=AFQjCNEZk1y00yDXhocwrVK-BOCptTqrAA

MTS2_jadedicara_733754_Campbell_Fraser_MacKenzie.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
Not sure what the objection is.

Kilt are very manly.

Well, of course, customs differ throughout the world.

Certainly a kilt is considered manly in Scotland, and you have to respect them for keeping their heritage alive. But where I grew up, a guy walking around in a skirt, would not be called manly.
 
lisab said:
If a man thinks wearing a kilt is manly, then he's super hot wearing one :!).

Dang. Now you've got me wanting to wear one. :mad: