Are Kilts Only for Men with Scottish Heritage?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, some people do not like kilts because they can be heavy and difficult to wear. Other people find them to be very manly.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
A remote relative of mine wears a kilt with pride, for heavens sake i would feel so much like a girl, could you wear a kilt.

Physics news on Phys.org
Absolutely! :biggrin:

Don't forget to post pics wolram. :biggrin:

I wouldn't be ashamed to wear a kilt if somebody were to ask me. Then again I've been known to wear womans make-up in an oral exam :biggrin:

Wearing a kilt on the high plains of Colorado on a hot summer day where windy days are days with 45 mph winds (the normal days only have 25 mph winds)?

Woohoo! :smile:

I want to know who's going to wear a Mini-kilt.

If I had some matching pipes.

Loren Booda said:
If I had some matching pipes.

Here you go.

5988984-checkered-cap-with-tobacco-pipe-isolated.jpg

Only if i could scream "FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOM".

I'd wear a kilt. I need to get on in the family (mom's side) tartan.

maybe if there were beer and cabers involved

No problem, I have shapely legs.

I got married in a kilt :)

We had pipes for the processional and recessional, but did not include any of more 'non-traditional' highland parts to the ceremony.

All of the guys in the wedding party wore one (including our dads, hers had never worn one before).

I also own 2 different Utilikilts which fit differently than modern 'real' kilts, but they're still very comfortable.

If I remember, I'll post a picture or two when I get home.

On wind: do you realize how heavy kilts are? :p They stay down VERY well.

My Scottish uncle was a singer/actor who would dress in full working-class-Sunday-best tartan to perform Burns' Suppers etc. One day about 20 years ago. while we were visiting, and walking through Glasgow, a bunch of pre-teen boys who were on the other side of a chain-link fence started taunting my uncle (he was suited up for a performance he did in a park):

"Oy! Are ye a Trrroo Scotsman?" "Have ye got a wee black dog too?" "Are ye wearing any knickers [underwear]?" "There's an Englishman he's trrrryin' tae kill ye!" "Och Aye! He's a trrroo Scotsman!"

It was so weird to hear these very Scottish boys mock the most prevalent icon of being Scottish. This is when it hit me: men DON'T wear kilts in Scotland, unless it is Sunday, or a wedding, or if they are in a Scottish regiment. In Scotland, men wear black cotton twill trousers. I have seen more people "walking around in kilts" here in the US then I have seen doing so in Scotland (stands to reason, since I don't actually live there).

Tha' doesnae answer the question, but. Would I wear a kilt? At a wedding, perhaps, if someone sprang for the $1000 for a decent getup. Cheap kilts look like skirts.

Borek said:
No problem, I have shapely legs.

May be you could do a photo shop, to give us a look, other wise i can only guess you have knobbly knees. :-p

wolram said:
May be you could do a photo shop, to give us a look, other wise i can only guess you have knobbly knees. :-p

I have hands and arms like sticks, but normal legs. But my legs are tanned in a funny way at the moment, so I look like an idiot and I am not going to take pictures. Last weeks I spent at least an hour a day on bike on average, in a lycra bike shorts, which means brown knees, white front of the leg below knee, sharp end of the tan in the mid thigh, and brown calf. Typical - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tan_line#Biker.27s_tan.

Good that I bought new shorts, with slightly longer legs than the previous ones, at least the end of the tan is no longer visible.

I intend to buy and wear a kilt to my cousin's wedding in Scotland this September. Got to find one with the "County Cork" pattern.

I don't typically wear anything outside that is shorter than a pair of pants personally. I might consider it for some sort of occasion though. There are a couple of people that frequent the bar I go to that wear kilts out just for fun.

TheStatutoryApe said:
There are a couple of people that frequent the bar I go to that wear kilts out just for fun.
What those are - are girls. You really need to get out more. :wink:

No
glossary_340.jpg

No
s_gloin_kilt.jpg

GOD NO!
ed-westwick-in-a-kilt.jpg

If I went to FIFA football game, especially against England, this is what you wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. Not going to wear one. You couldn't make me wear one. And even if you could make me wear one, you couldn't make me like it.

I want to see a pic of Astro in a kilt, he would make a great Highlander.

Not sure what the objection is.

Kilt are very manly.

DaveC426913 said:

Kilt are very manly.

I don't generally disagree, but see pics 3 and 5 and you can tell:

not all kilts work for all men.

wolram said:
I want to see a pic of Astro in a kilt, he would make a great Highlander.
I'm a Highlander on my mom's side.

Astronuc said:
I'm a Highlander on my mom's side.
Sounds like pro wrestling.

If you've ever got caught in a zipper, a kilt may seem like a good idea. I noticed that some of them even come with their own caber-protection.

Have any women yet posted on this thread?

DaveC426913 said:

Kilt are very manly.

If a man thinks wearing a kilt is manly, then he's super hot wearing one :!).

If he's not sure, he really shouldn't wear one :eek:.

lisab said:

This post needs pictures!

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.fortunecity.com/bally/tallow/51/boots.gif&sa=X&ei=NWzxTaDEDIL4sAOCm-CjDg&ved=0CAQQ8wc4FQ&usg=AFQjCNEZk1y00yDXhocwrVK-BOCptTqrAA

MTS2_jadedicara_733754_Campbell_Fraser_MacKenzie.jpg

DaveC426913 said:

Kilt are very manly.

Well, of course, customs differ throughout the world.

Certainly a kilt is considered manly in Scotland, and you have to respect them for keeping their heritage alive. But where I grew up, a guy walking around in a skirt, would not be called manly.

lisab said:

Dang. Now you've got me wanting to wear one. :mad:

I'd like to have a skirt made from my family's tartan (Chisholm). I don't know if it's called a kilt if a woman wears it.

Triple_D said:
But where I grew up, a guy walking around in a skirt, would not be called manly.
That would be called ignorance. In that place they do not know what kilts are, and somehow think they are skirts. That says nothing about the wearer and a lot about the onlooker.

Chi Meson said:
not all kilts work for all men.
Quite true. I was going to mention that.

Manly men can wear kilts. It does not work so well on ... slighter men.

lisab said:

An excellent point!

There are many fashionable things that a confident man can pull off quite well that a man less sure of himself should not attempt.

hmmm...

I seem to remember someone in a kilt.

Ah ha!

[PLAIN]http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs903.snc4/71675_167791689903463_100000178992764_606137_3443310_n.jpg

Kilt undies. (Guy just to the right of https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3002458&postcount=3988".)

I want a pair of those.

And a gun like that to shoot anyone who says I look like a girlie man in them...

DaveC426913 said:
That would be called ignorance. In that place they do not know what kilts are, and somehow think they are skirts. That says nothing about the wearer and a lot about the onlooker.

Don't be silly.

It could also be called arrogance on the part of the people who wear them. Just because they wear them in one part of the world, does not mean everyone has to agree with it. Knowing what it is, and believing it is proper attire for a man, are two different things.

Like I said, different cultures in different parts of the world. :smile: