Are our equations for this universe valid in all universes?

• A
  • Thread starter cosmicalset
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of equations in a multiverse and the possibility of other universes with different physical properties. It is argued that changes in fundamental physical constants could significantly affect the nature of any universe and there is currently no evidence for the existence of other universes.
cosmicalset
If we live in a multiverse, are our equations about this universe valid in all universes?

Space news on Phys.org
You marked this thread as level "A". What proposed multiverse hypotheses in the literature are you familiar with?

cosmicalset said:
If we live in a multiverse, are our equations about this universe valid in all universes?
I am not an expert on this but I think It will not be the valid. For example think electrons mass or protons, or fine structure constant. If these values were different then our physics rules would be different.

Another approach is to think that every universe can have its own mathematical structure (or physical). Since there are infinite universes why wouldn't it be different ?

https://arxiv.org/abs/1008.3907

Since hypothetical "other universes" outside of our universe are not observable, if I said they were full of green pixies riding pink unicorns, how could you prove me wrong?

Likes davenn
phyzguy said:
Since hypothetical "other universes" outside of our universe are not observable, if I said they were full of green pixies riding pink unicorns, how could you prove me wrong?
That's possible in our universe.

Likes Comeback City
There are some basic physical properties that, if varied, could significantly afftect the nature of any universe. For example, a change in the fine structure constant could really foul things up. Varying the gravitational constant would also be horribly disruptive affectng things like the mass, luminosity, llife expectancy and fate of stars to name a few. Fortunately, physical constants in this universe appear to be well behaved and stable. Life in a universe with variable physical constantss would likely face huge challemges and poor long term prospect. To date we have no evidence of 'other' universes - which would be difficult to explain assuming our present universe is infintie. A universe that is not infinite would also pose serious explanatory difficulties.

Likes Arman777

1. How do we know that our equations for this universe are valid in all universes?

There is no definitive answer to this question as we currently have no way to observe or test other universes. However, many scientists believe that the fundamental laws of physics, such as gravity and electromagnetism, should hold true in all universes.

2. Are there any alternative equations that could better describe other universes?

There are various theories and models that attempt to explain the existence of other universes, such as the multiverse theory. However, these are still speculative and have not been proven to be more accurate than our current equations.

3. Could our equations change in different universes?

It is possible that the equations that govern our universe may not apply to other universes. The laws of physics may differ in other universes, leading to different equations. However, this is still a topic of debate and further research is needed.

4. How can we test the validity of our equations in other universes?

At this point, we do not have the technology or means to directly test other universes. Some theories suggest that studying the cosmic microwave background radiation or looking for patterns in the distribution of galaxies in our universe could provide insights into other universes.

5. Are there any implications if our equations are not valid in all universes?

If our equations are not valid in all universes, it could potentially change our understanding of the universe and how it functions. It could also have significant implications for our current theories and models of the universe, potentially leading to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the cosmos.