Are particles diffraction patterns?

In summary, the interaction between particles creates new diffraction patterns that can be constrained and create their own diffraction patterns.
TCS
It seems like an interaction constrains the wave and creates a diffraction pattern that spreads through space and the rings of the diffraction pattern can likewise be constrained and create their own diffraction patterns.

Physics news on Phys.org
please, expand on this idea. why do you think that?

jfy4 said:
please, expand on this idea. why do you think that?

I think that when particles interact, their respective diffraction patterns of modulated energy are interacting with each other throughout a region of space determined by the speed of light since the last interaction for each particle.
If energy is conserved and the particles can exist, then the portions of the diffraction pattern within the region of interaction can form new diffraction patterns spreading out from their respective locations, with photons representing any energy transfer necesary to push all of the combined energy into two very small locations for a moment, which then form diffractions patterns of the appropriate type of modulated energy.

I think that each small location of space is kind of like a resonant cavity, but it will only resonate if there is sufficent energy of the specific type (the energy of the diffraction pattern is like a modulated wave packet where each type of basic particle corresponds to a unique type of oscillation) within a localized region and the resonance occurs in a very brief period of time and in a small region of three space. Modulated waves emit from ther surface of the small region and interfere with each other to form a new diffraction pattern.

Although it's really more like a four dimensional elastic fluid medium made of the combined energy density of all of the diffraction patterns at that spot, where the medium has distict types of waves that resonate in the r dimension perpendicular to three space and where resonance will only occur if there is enough energy within an interaction zone to cause the specific type of resonance and where energy can couple between diffraction patterns of the same type to constrain the energy to a location. Also, the energy can transfer from one type of wave to another type when the resonant pulse occurs. Each part of the diffraction pattern contains same ratio wave types as in the pulse.

Last edited:
an interesting interpretation. What is beneficial about this interpretation that you would want to consider particles in this manner. does this improve on the current interpretation? Does it open new doors and perhaps make certain physics more simple or elegant?

I'd like to have model that gives me an intuitive understanding of the universe and its contents and that works for both gravity and particle interactions.

Both general relatiity and quantum mechanics indicate to me that a particle's energy extends out from it's location, so I wanted a model that incorporated that idea.

Anyway, I was thinking about trying to create a mathematical similar to the wave front tracing models used for acoustic waves in geologic imaging. I could create a relativistic mesh where each cell has the appropriate rate of time and stretchiness of space and then piecewise solve the schroedinger equation in each cell. However, I don't quite see how to make it work for high speed particles or for many particles.

It is just an idea I had about how to structure a model that helps with those issues and that is still intuitve. However, I don't know if I can make it work.

1. What is diffraction?

Diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle or slit and bends around it, creating a pattern of light or dark regions. This can be observed in various types of waves, including sound, water, and light waves.

2. How do particles exhibit diffraction patterns?

Particles can exhibit diffraction patterns when they behave as waves, which is known as wave-particle duality. This means that even though particles have a definite position, they also have a wavelength and can exhibit wave-like behavior. When particles pass through a slit or obstacle, they can diffract and create a pattern similar to that of waves.

3. What types of particles can exhibit diffraction patterns?

Particles of all types, including atoms, electrons, and even large molecules, can exhibit diffraction patterns. However, the size of the particle and the wavelength of the incident radiation can affect the diffraction pattern that is produced.

4. What is the significance of diffraction patterns in science?

Diffraction patterns are essential in understanding the nature of matter and the behavior of waves. They have been used to study the structure of crystals, which has led to advancements in fields such as material science and medicine. Diffraction patterns also provide evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter.

5. Can diffraction patterns be observed in everyday life?

Yes, diffraction patterns can be observed in everyday life. For example, when light passes through a small opening, such as a keyhole, it creates a diffraction pattern on the wall. Similarly, the stripes on a CD or DVD are a result of diffraction of light. Additionally, diffraction patterns can be observed when sound waves pass through objects, such as a doorway or a window.