1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are physicists looked down upon if

1. Dec 18, 2006 #1
    , I was just curious, do other physics majors with a 3.5 or higher consider physics majors with a GPA between a 2.5 and 3.0 lets intelligent in areas in physics. Do fellow physics majors consider the physics knowledge the physics major with a 2.5 GPA learn outside the classroom?

Or are they just labeled as a dunce by fellow classmates?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2006 #2
    Anyone with a 2.5 GPA, is in serious trouble.

4. Dec 18, 2006 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree.

I think what other people think of you is the last thing you should thinking about when your GPA is lower than 3.5.

5. Dec 18, 2006 #4

I've only taken one my first year physics courl and received a C+ in that class. There are a lot of smart physics majors who's GPA is below a 3.5 and have manage to go onto graudate school to study what they love

6. Dec 18, 2006 #5
    I don't really have the authority to answer your main question, but I am wondering if maybe you are taking on too much work? When you say you have knowledge from "outside the classroom" does that mean that you are working on extra stuff like reading extra physics books on different topics etc? I think that it would be wise to focus on only what is getting graded upon until your marks come up.

7. Dec 18, 2006 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i envy people with a 3.0 or 2.5 gpa, as i had a 1.2 gpa.

just before i got kicked out of school. gpa schmeepa. what you can do matters, school grades are child's play.

8. Dec 18, 2006 #7
    what is the average GPA of most of the physicists on this forum. Like I said, I am a freshman and only taken my first introductory physics courses. I have a C+ average now. I want to know grades of other physicists, including the grade of physicists , who improved there academic performance throughout there 4 years. I really want to earn an A in most of my physics courses.

9. Dec 18, 2006 #8
    Companies LOVEEEE to hire fresh graduates with 1.2-2.5 GPAs, yeah, grades dont matter, right.....:rolleyes:

If you dont have serious advice to give the kid, dont waste his time.

Penzoate, you are going to have to study alot harder if you want an A. Everyone has different methods of studying that works best for them. I suggest you find what is holding you back and overcome that issue.

10. Dec 18, 2006 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

just learn the concepts, and you will be fine. screw the grades.

11. Dec 18, 2006 #10

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

you guys are so young and naive. you think qualifications are on paper.

12. Dec 18, 2006 #11

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

a suggestion: ask yourself if there is anyone on this forum you would hire. without seeing their resume. see what i mean about resumes?

13. Dec 18, 2006 #12
    well i am a young and naive kid, but it seems to me getting the grades is better than learning the concepts (while in school) because you can always go back and learn the concepts, but you only have one chance to get a good grade.

14. Dec 18, 2006 #13
    Um, no. I dont see what you mean, because thats not how companies hire people. They look at your resume, and when they see a fresh graduate with a 2.5 GPA staring them at the face, they are going to throw it into the trash pile and move on to the people who were serious in college.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  15. Dec 18, 2006 #14
    Not familiar with US scoring terms etc. but if GPA is that one which determines if you get into uni or not then I don't think it matters as long as you get in. In Australia no one really cares about your ENTER (unless maybe it's 99.95) as long as you get in the course and do well in it.

Also low ENTER (And GPA if it's the same thing) really has nothing to do with intelligence. I hate to sound narcissistic but I was literally the smartest guy at my school. I could grasp concepts and learn quicker then everyone, and not only did I understand the concepts but I could link them together and I know know the intricacies and details and where they came from etc. etc. But did I get 99.95? No, I didn't because I didn't do any homework, the amount of work I did during high school was literally none, I would have failed chem had I not topped the class in the midyear exam. That's how little homework I did, so ENTER/GPA is really no better measure of intelligence then IQ, and anyone who is stupid enough to think you're less intelligent because you got a low GPA/ENTER shouldn't be doing physics.

16. Dec 18, 2006 #15
    You're GPA is your overall grade in college. It shows how much time and effort you put into your classes and how seriously you took them. Someone who has a low gpa is either lazy, or stupid.

This is not High School Grades, don't compare the two.

17. Dec 18, 2006 #16
    I see, if the GPA thing is your overall grade then you're in trouble if it's low, higher score = more chance to get a good job.

As to whether people think your stupid because you got a 2.5 GPA, I doubt it, that would be jumping to conclusions.

18. Dec 18, 2006 #17

J77

OP: If you consider physicists outside of the classroom - you should also consider that a GPA matters little (or has little meaning) outside of the US.

19. Dec 18, 2006 #18

eep

Or just got unlucky when the professors decided what questions to put on the final! :rofl: 50% of your grade based on one test? Come on!!

20. Dec 18, 2006 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I understand what you're saying. But the problem is that the professors are naive about grades. Not us students.

I'm forced to do fairly well or else professors won't listen to me at all.

21. Dec 18, 2006 #20
    I would like to mention that I think that a low GPA really does not say much about your intelligence. It really does not mean you are lazy either, it really means that you have gotten into a bad cycle of not doing your work and therefore feeling like you can't do it and eventually thinking that you are not smart enough. But you are smart enough--I did very poorly in school for two years. I actually though for a while that the problem was my lack of intelligence--that's what happens, but let me tell you this: I now do very well, and I know that I am one of the smartest people at my school (and my high school is #66 in the nation).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?