Are physicists looked down upon if

• Thread starter penzoate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary: Just because you're the smartest person in your school, doesn't mean you'll get into a good university with a low GPA. Not familiar with US scoring terms etc. but if GPA is that one which determines if you get into uni or not then I don't think it matters as long as you get in. In Australia no one really cares about your ENTER (unless maybe it's 99.95) as long as you get in the course and do well in it.Also low ENTER (And GPA if it's the same thing) really has nothing to do with intelligence. I hate to sound narcissistic but I was literally the smartest guy at my school. I could grasp concepts and learn
chroot said:
Do you really want someone who hadn't the brains or the work ethic to survive freshman year to come back thirty years later and demand things of his students that he could never, in a million years, have delivered himself?

- Warren
Why not? I don't care what he did thirty years ago, only that he is where he is NOW and knows what he knows NOW.

Frankly, mathwonk has shown more dedication to his work than most people I can think of. To keep persisting is an admirable quality.

Physics news on Phys.org
SticksandStones said:
Why not? I don't care what he did thirty years ago, only that he is where he is NOW and knows what he knows NOW.

Frankly, mathwonk has shown more dedication to his work than most people I can think of. To keep persisting is an admirable quality.

Hey,

I really don't get this. Chroot seems to be saying that mathwonk dropped out of his freshman year but then how on Earth can he be a college professor ?

Or did he achieve the undergraduate/graduate degees later in life ? If that is the case, but ofcourse i do not know, chroot is indeed telling rubbish which seems to be unlikely. I really don't get this.

marlon

I am pretty much on the same boat as Cyrus about having a strict school. It teaches the students to be responsible.

Now for mathwonk, he is one of the members in this website that inspired me to read more math books, that i didn't know about (such as Cartan's and Spivak's), so i consider his advice very useful. I don't see what chroot is talking about...

This thread has gotten out of hand. I believe there is nothing else to be said here that is worthwhile, or would be informative to the original question. Therefore, it is done.

Zz.