Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are protons and neutrons considered point particles?

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    I find it confusing, I tried to google the topic but I still don't get it. What is the size and shape of subatomic particles? do they have a size or shape at all? and does the fact that protons and neutrons have larger mass than electrons mean they're bigger in size?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Protons and neutrons are made out of quarks and gluons, see Wikipedia:proton for a more detailed description. Shape and size are a bit problematic to define in quantum mechanics, but independent of the chosen definition, they have a non-zero size, and the shape is spherical within the measurement uncertainties.

This has nothing to do with their mass. There are elementary particles* that have ~100 times the mass of proton and neutron.

*or at least particles where no substructure is known, and with very good arguments for them to be really elementary

4. Jan 31, 2014 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The proton and neutron each have a radius of a little over 0.8 fm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook