Understanding Coherent Neutron Scattering in Hydrogen Molecules

In summary: Coherent scattering allows for a better understanding of the structure of matter because the scattered radiation is more consistent with the predictions of the theory. In incoherent scattering, the scattered radiation is more random and does not agree with the predictions of the theory.
kelly0303
Hello! I am not sure I understand how neutron coherent scattering takes place. The case I am particularly talking about is neutron scattering off a hydrogen molecule. When thinking of Coulomb interaction, I would imagine this as if the incident particle (not a neutron, as the neutron doesn't have electric charge) sees the molecule as a point particle of charge 2e (is this right?). But in the case of the neutron, we have nuclear force (I ignore the weak force here), which is short range (~##10^{-15}m##) while the distance between the 2 protons in the molecule is around ##10^{-10}m##. How can the neutron see both protons at the same time i.e. as a point particle, given that the distance between them is so much bigger than the range of the force acting between the proton and the neutron?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where would an electric charge see anything as a point particle with charge 2e?
kelly0303 said:
How can the neutron see both protons at the same time i.e. as a point particle, given that the distance between them is so much bigger than the range of the force acting between the proton and the neutron?
Consider a modified double slit experiment with light: Have light shining on a black surface with two parallel reflecting narrow strips. You'll get an interference pattern from the strips, even though the two strips are independent of each other.

Likes DEvens
mfb said:
Where would an electric charge see anything as a point particle with charge 2e?
Consider a modified double slit experiment with light: Have light shining on a black surface with two parallel reflecting narrow strips. You'll get an interference pattern from the strips, even though the two strips are independent of each other.
I am not sure I understand what you mean.

Interference doesn't need the potentials of the two nuclei to overlap, just like the slits in the double-slit experiment don't overlap. The neutron can be scattered at either nucleus, you add the complex amplitudes, which means you get interference effects.

mfb said:
Interference doesn't need the potentials of the two nuclei to overlap, just like the slits in the double-slit experiment don't overlap. The neutron can be scattered at either nucleus, you add the complex amplitudes, which means you get interference effects.
So do I think of the hydrogen molecule as a single object with which the neutron interacts as a whole?

No, it's important that it has two nuclei inside.

Likes DEvens
mfb said:
No, it's important that it has two nuclei inside.
So what is the difference between coherent and incoherent neutron scattering? From what I read online, in coherent scattering, the neutron interacts with the whole object as a whole (for example if it interacts with a crystal as a whole, you get Bragg peaks, as the spacing between crystal latices creates diffraction). In an incoherent scattering, you have interaction with individual constituents of that object (individual crystal nodes for example, so you get some random pattern, as the neutron doesn't see the regular spacing of the crystal anymore). But you are saying basically the opposite i.e. that the neutron in coherent scattering sees every individual object i.e. proton in the case of the molecule. What am I missing here? Thank you!

The neutron still interacts with nuclei, but the coherence between these interactions (a fixed phase relation) makes the result differ from many isolated interactions.

1. What is coherent neutron scattering?

Coherent neutron scattering is a technique used in physics and materials science to study the structure and dynamics of materials at the atomic level. It involves directing a beam of neutrons at a sample and analyzing the scattered neutrons to gather information about the sample's atomic arrangement and motion.

2. How does coherent neutron scattering differ from other scattering techniques?

Unlike other scattering techniques, such as X-ray or electron scattering, coherent neutron scattering is sensitive to the magnetic properties of materials, making it a valuable tool for studying magnetic materials. Additionally, neutrons have a high penetration depth, allowing for the study of bulk materials rather than just surface properties.

3. What types of information can be obtained from coherent neutron scattering?

Coherent neutron scattering can provide information about the atomic structure, dynamics, and magnetic properties of materials. This includes the positions and arrangements of atoms, the movement of atoms and molecules, and the orientation and strength of magnetic moments.

4. What are some applications of coherent neutron scattering?

Coherent neutron scattering has a wide range of applications in various fields, including materials science, condensed matter physics, chemistry, and biology. It can be used to study the structure and dynamics of materials, investigate magnetic properties, and understand the behavior of complex systems such as polymers and biological membranes.

5. How is coherent neutron scattering performed?

Coherent neutron scattering experiments are typically performed at large-scale facilities, such as research reactors or spallation sources. The neutron beam is directed at the sample, and the scattered neutrons are detected and analyzed using specialized instruments. The data collected from these experiments is then processed and interpreted to obtain information about the sample's properties.