Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Are the goals outlined in the United Nations Charter realistic?

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1
    Hi,
    i was just wondering your opinion on whether you think that the goals/aims/statements made in the (amended) UN charter are realistic and achievable? provided examples would also be helpful as evidence,
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2
    No. The failure of those goals to be met in even member nations makes that painfully clear. In the broader sense of preventing "great wars", only more history will tell.

4. Aug 17, 2010 #3

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

What are they?

5. Aug 17, 2010 #4
  6. Aug 17, 2010 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Since the charter is unable to prevent monster states like Saudi Arabia and Iran to sit on the..Human Rights Council, and even retain the right to vote, and thereby influence the UN decisions, the charter is totally corrupt, and the whole organization should be disbanded.

7. Aug 17, 2010 #6

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Is it just these four:

?

I would have to guess they haven't come far in achieving any of these goals, though I'm sure individual UN programs have brought about the level of social change they desired at the program level.

8. Aug 23, 2010 #7
    Yes,
    Basically it's just the goals of maintaining international peace and security, promoting better standards of life for all peoples, forwarding social and economic advancement, and overseeing the maintenance of human rights etc.

I realise the system is corrupt and arguably ineffective, except i support it is better than nothing, and is at least a platform where countries can voice concerns and discuss significant global issues...

And some organisations such as WHO I guess have raised quality of life through successes such as eradication of smallpox?

So really, I'm wondering whether even subsidary UN organisations such as the World Bank and UNSECO or UNEP, have been able to fulfil some of these targets (ie. maintenance world peace, social progress etc)

9. Aug 23, 2010 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The conclusions don't follow from the hypothesis. :tongue:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook