Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are the members of (x,y) if and only if (y = x + 3) & (y = x – 3) an empty set?

1. Aug 24, 2012 #1
    Is the set of all integers where <x,y> [itex]\in[/itex] R if and only if (y = x + 3) & (y = x – 3) an empty set?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Bob4040 and welcome to the forums.

Your definition is a little vague. You mention integers but then you say x and y are real numbers which is a bit of a contradiction.

Are you trying to ask whether x and y are real numbers if the relation holds?

4. Aug 24, 2012 #3
    I do not mean all real numbers. R is the set. x and y are members of the set on the condition that (y = x + 3) & (y = x – 3). These two lines never intersect, so I think that means it is an empty set?

5. Aug 24, 2012 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

Ohh I see what you mean now.

Well the easiest way to check is to set them equal to one another and see if you get a solution or a contradiction.

y = x + 3, y = x - 3 implies x + 3 = x - 3 which implies 3 = -3 which is a contradiction, so you have proven that no element exists satisfying the relationship so you have the empty set.

6. Aug 24, 2012 #5
    Thank you for the help!

7. Aug 25, 2012 #6

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I know this is not what you meant/intended , Bob4040, but, strictly speaking your

identity would hold if x were in the set called Z_3, where 3=-3 :

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Z+mod+3

Then,for all x, x+3=x-3 .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook