Are the units of volume compatible with the density units?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CMATT
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Density Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 4K views
sorry 362.5 cm^3 which would fit into a .0958 gal aquarium
 
Physics news on Phys.org
now I need to find density
p = m/v What mass should I use? the weight of the scale for water, oil, or either?
 
nick gear said:
so here goes... I know its been a while, been wrapping up this semester. But this is what I came up with.

V= (34.7 N - 34 N) / (9.8 m/s^2) * (1000 - 803)
V= 3.625 x 10^ - 4 m^3 = .3681 L = 368.1 cm^3
You used 803 kg/m3 as the density of the oil instead of the correct density of 830 kg/m3. Your calculated volume is wrong.

It's important to check your work for silly copying mistakes. It saves hours of pulling your hair out, wondering why you don't get the right answer.
 
nick gear said:
now I need to find density
p = m/v What mass should I use? the weight of the scale for water, oil, or either?
You've calculated the density of the object and its volume. The only thing left to find is the mass.
 
do I need to make some unit conversions because this number seems way off to me?
 
nick gear said:
m= p * v => m = 9.3 g/cm^3 * 4.201 x 10 ^ -4 = .0039
Just as with mistakenly copying numbers between calculations, ignoring units can get you into trouble just as quickly.

What are the units of volume here? V = 4.201×10-4 what exactly? Are these units compatible with the units in the density of the block?