Fundamental Forces Problem: Acceleration from Planet

In summary, the problem is that the user is incorrectly converting centimeters to meters and then trying to convert meters to kilograms. They are then getting incorrect results because the small masses cancel.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
F=mg, F=-GmM/r^2
I know its something to do with my unit conversions because my answer is the right numbers but too small by a factor of 10000.

I convert the radius to meters by multiplying it by 1000. I convert the density to kg/m^3 by dividing it by 10.

I find the volume using the equation (4/3)*pi*radius^3

I find the mass by multiplying the volume by the density.

I find the force of gravity by using GMm/(radius planet+distance from planet)^2

(distance was also converted to m by multiplying it by 1000)

Fg=ma, the small masses cancel.

I get an answer that has the right numbers but is too small by a factor of 10000.

Attachments

• Actual.PNG
    Actual.PNG
    6.5 KB · Views: 92
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to solve it again, explicitly including units of measurement in the equation. Post your work if it doesn't come out right.

Last edited:
Likes TSny
JoeyBob said:
Homework Statement:: See attached
Relevant Equations:: F=mg, F=-GmM/r^2

I convert the radius to meters by multiplying it by 1000.
OK

I convert the density to kg/m^3 by dividing it by 10.
But the density is already given in kg/m3.

I find the volume using the equation (4/3)*pi*radius^3

I find the mass by multiplying the volume by the density.

I find the force of gravity by using GMm/(radius planet+distance from planet)^2
OK. Wouldn't the result of this calculation give you the answer to the problem. I don't see why you went on to write the following:
Fg=ma, the small masses cancel.

It could be that you are making one or more errors that we can't see. It will help if you show the full calculation with the particular numbers and units that you used.

TSny said:
OK

But the density is already given in kg/m3.OK. Wouldn't the result of this calculation give you the answer to the problem. I don't see why you went on to write the following:It could be that you are making one or more errors that we can't see. It will help if you show the full calculation with the particular numbers and units that you used.
I screenshotted the wrong question... here's the right one.

Caluclutations:

3.93/10=0.393

Mass=Volume*density

Mass=(4/3)*pi*3390000^3*0.393=6.4133*10^19

F=Gmm/r^2

=6.67*10^-11*6.4133*10^19m/(3390000+171900)^2

=0.000337166ma=ma

a=0.00033716

Attachments

• Actual.PNG
    Actual.PNG
    6.5 KB · Views: 97
JoeyBob said:
Caluclutations:

3.93/10=0.393
The conversion here is wrong. Think about the fact that the cm is cubed. Otherwise, your work looks good to me.

TSny said:
The conversion here is wrong. Think about the fact that the cm is cubed. Otherwise, your work looks good to me.
To convert cm cubed to m cubed don't you divide by 100 (since its divided by you multiply). There are 1000 g in a kg, so you divide by 1000. 100/1000 means you divide by 10.

JoeyBob said:
To convert cm cubed to m cubed don't you divide by 100 .
No. Consider a simpler example where you can draw a picture. There are 3 ft in a yd. How many ft3 are in 1 yd3. Sketch a cube with each edge 1 yd. How many ft3 will fit into that cube?

TSny said:
No. Consider a simpler example where you can draw a picture. There are 3 ft in a yd. How many ft3 are in 1 yd3. Sketch a cube with each edge 1 yd. How many ft3 will fit into that cube?
So you multiple it by 1000 since its cubed?

JoeyBob said:
So you multiple it by 1000 since its cubed?
I'm not sure what "it" refers to here. You might be right.

To convert 5 cm3 to m3 you would not multiply the 5 by 1000.

But if you mean that to convert g/cm3 to kg/m3 you multiply by 1000, then yes!

TSny said:
I'm not sure what "it" refers to here. You might be right.

To convert 5 cm3 to m3 you would not multiply the 5 by 1000.

But if you mean that to convert g/cm3 to kg/m3 you multiply by 1000, then yes!
Thats so dumb. Thanks for the help.

What are the fundamental forces involved in the acceleration from a planet?

The fundamental forces involved in the acceleration from a planet are gravity and the normal force. Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the planet, while the normal force is the force exerted by the surface of the planet on an object.

How does the mass of the planet affect the acceleration?

The mass of the planet directly affects the acceleration due to gravity. The larger the mass of the planet, the stronger the force of gravity and therefore the greater the acceleration.

What is the formula for calculating acceleration from a planet?

The formula for calculating acceleration from a planet is a = GM/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the planet.

How does the distance from the planet affect the acceleration?

The distance from the planet also affects the acceleration due to gravity. The further away an object is from the center of the planet, the weaker the force of gravity and therefore the smaller the acceleration.

Can the acceleration from a planet be negative?

Yes, the acceleration from a planet can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the gravitational force. This can happen if the object is moving away from the planet or if it is being pushed by another force that is greater than the force of gravity.