Are there any new states of matter yet?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter questionpost
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matter States
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
questionpost
Messages
194
Reaction score
0
The only ones I can think of are bose-einstein condensate in the same realm as super-liquids/solids, solid, solid-liquid, liquid, liquid-gas, gas, plasma, quark/gluon plasma, metallic or degenerate hydrogen (I guess critical point?), and degenerate neutronium and whatever singularities are made of and the theoretical dark matter. Is there anything else yet?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
questionpost said:
whatever singularities are made of and the theoretical dark matter.

Whatever singularities are made of and dark matter aren't states of matter, they likely don't include electrons or quarks.
 
jetwaterluffy said:
Whatever singularities are made of and dark matter aren't states of matter, they likely don't include electrons or quarks.

I know, but is there anything? Any new type of matter of any kind?
 
questionpost said:
I know, but is there anything? Any new type of matter of any kind?

In that case, you could include neutrinos.
 
Chemists distinguish quite a few more states;
The dissolved state, the adsorbed state, the interfacial state, etc

They further acknowledge disperse systems such as the 'colloidal state'.

go well
 
questionpost said:
The only ones I can think of are bose-einstein condensate in the same realm as super-liquids/solids, solid, solid-liquid, liquid, liquid-gas, gas, plasma, quark/gluon plasma, metallic or degenerate hydrogen (I guess critical point?), and degenerate neutronium and whatever singularities are made of and the theoretical dark matter. Is there anything else yet?


I found the following on page 62 of the Naval Research Laboratory Plasma Formulary NRL/PU/6790--11-551, Revised 2011:

Complex (dusty) plasmas (CDPs) may be regarded as a new and unusual state of matter. CDPs contain charged microparticles (dust grains) in addition to electrons, ions, and neutral gas. Electrostatic coupling between the grains can vary over a wide range, so that the states of CDPs can range from weakly coupled (gaseous) to crystalline. CDPs can be investigated at the kinetic level (individual particles are easily visualized and relevant time scales are accessible). CDPs are of interest as a non-Hamiltonian system of interacting particles as a means to study generic fundamental physics of self-organization, pattern formation, phase transitions, and scaling. Their discovery has therefore opened new ways of precision investigation in many-particle physics.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve