Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there any new states of matter yet?

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    The only ones I can think of are bose-einstein condensate in the same realm as super-liquids/solids, solid, solid-liquid, liquid, liquid-gas, gas, plasma, quark/gluon plasma, metallic or degenerate hydrogen (I guess critical point?), and degenerate neutronium and whatever singularities are made of and the theoretical dark matter. Is there anything else yet?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2
    Whatever singularities are made of and dark matter aren't states of matter, they likely don't include electrons or quarks.

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    I know, but is there anything? Any new type of matter of any kind?

5. Jan 31, 2012 #4
    In that case, you could include neutrinos.

6. Jan 31, 2012 #5
    Chemists distinguish quite a few more states;
    The dissolved state, the adsorbed state, the interfacial state, etc

They further acknowledge disperse systems such as the 'colloidal state'.

go well

7. Feb 11, 2012 #6

Dotini

Gold Member

I found the following on page 62 of the Naval Research Laboratory Plasma Formulary NRL/PU/6790--11-551, Revised 2011:

Complex (dusty) plasmas (CDPs) may be regarded as a new and unusual state of matter. CDPs contain charged microparticles (dust grains) in addition to electrons, ions, and neutral gas. Electrostatic coupling between the grains can vary over a wide range, so that the states of CDPs can range from weakly coupled (gaseous) to crystalline. CDPs can be investigated at the kinetic level (individual particles are easily visualized and relevant time scales are accessible). CDPs are of interest as a non-Hamiltonian system of interacting particles as a means to study generic fundamental physics of self-organization, pattern formation, phase transitions, and scaling. Their discovery has therefore opened new ways of precision investigation in many-particle physics.

Respectfully submitted,
    Steve

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook