Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Is there any state of matter colder than solid?

Tags:
  1. Jul 18, 2017 #1
    I know that Quark-gluon plasma is the hotter state of matter that we know.
    Soo is solid the coldest state of matter ???
    If there is no so sorry for my stupid brain!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2017 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Not necessarily. First, at least one substance--helium--never forms a solid at ordinary pressures, it stays liquid all the way down to absolute zero.

Second, at cold enough temperatures, some materials can form Bose-Einstein condensates, which could be thought of as a "colder" state of matter than an ordinary solid.

4. Jul 18, 2017 #3
    ok thx for helping

5. Jul 18, 2017 #4
    what is a Bose-Einstein condnsates i seach in google but i dont understand it

6. Jul 18, 2017 #5

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Basically it's when a large number of identical bosons (quantum particles with integral spin) are all in the same quantum state; this happens because when one boson is in a given state, the probability for other identical bosons to be in the same quantum state increases.

Did you find this page?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose–Einstein_condensate

7. Jul 18, 2017 #6
    Im just a 13 years old kid i dont understand the wiki stuff unless some one explain it to me.
    But thx u btw!

8. Jul 18, 2017 #7

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Then you probably don't (yet) have the background knowledge to understand the theory behind Bose-Einstein condensates. If and when you get to the point of studying quantum mechanics in general, you will be in a better position to do so.

9. Jul 18, 2017 #8
    Basically Bose-Einstein condensates are supercooled matter in which all atoms are at the lowest energy state.

10. Jul 18, 2017 #9
    i even still have a hard time with calculus

11. Jul 19, 2017 #10

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At a certain pressure range, ##^3 He## is actually liquid at a lower temperature than where it's solid - an exothermic melting by cooling.

12. Jul 19, 2017 #11
    Wow there is a melting by throw alway heat

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted