1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where do 4 principal states of matter work together?

1. Aug 7, 2012 #1
    speaking of solid, liquid, gas, and plasma, where in nature do these four states of matter interact to form a discrete system?

the only example i know of, with my limited knowledge, is sun (plasma), earth (solid), sea (liquid), and sky (gas) ... all work together to form something like a "gaia" system which sustains biomass. this may be a bit too novel, i'm just wondering if there are places in nature where these four principal states of matter work together, perhaps in a type of cell, engine, or some astrophysical phenomena.

strange question. I know this.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The solar system is not closed.
    I think you need to more closely define your terms ... as it stands, "the Universe" would fit your description of a discrete system where all states of matter "work together". Also "a type of cell or engine" is not usually thought of as a "place in nature" - though it handily opens the question to the possibility of engineering the situation you are asking about.

Note:
    you can get a solid-liquid-gas system in equilibrium (i.e. water at it's triple-point.)
    gas-plasma discharge tubes have a gas and plasma (+ electric field) working together ... add ice to the chamber and you have your condition.

See? The question, as stated, is so vague there are probably infinite possibilities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook