Nuclear wavefunction and Bose-Einstein condensates

In summary, according to this conversation, a nucleus combination of bosonic properties (e.g. electrons) can be injected and enter a Bose-Einstein condensate state. However, this is not a stable state and could eventually decay.
iymasomhumaan
TL;DR Summary
I saw an old thread in physics and could not comment. this may be the wrong section (please move this to the right place, mods)

the question/idea(most definitely not original, I just don’t know where to start to find info)
is that the nucleus is not solid orbs (duh, I guess) and that it is/has a wavefunction.

I am wondering because (less so to do with taking advantage of it like quantum tunneling because (i don’t know here just pure “blueberry” speculation) it may need to be in a bose ei
Einstein condensate state or ultra hot fully ionized, removed of all-electron, plasma that is compressed like possibly something like fusion, state (an extraordinarily unattainable state currently; like compressed air into a liquid, but a solid; while even metallic hydrogen is, as far as I know not achieved BY US YET!); to actually do anything technological/physically like quantum tunneling or any quantum effect,

BUT,
I was just wondering about the topic in general and how it may relate to the stabilization/construction of super heavy exotic elements by the use of exotic nucleons in an unknown process akin to the stabilization of the proton by its amalgamation with the wavefunction of the neutron.

please understand that I am a sub-novice with high hopes to reach this level of understanding, and I do plan to read and assimilate the Feynman lectures and understand quantum and relativistic physics; but a person needs more, to keep them going. it is grueling to look at only, and only basics and not get some chit chat on the higher ultimate pinnacle stuff, I hope you can understand that it is probing like this that inspires me to keep at it and learn the basics because it feels like I am getting nowhere in life and doomed to a life of sub-mediocracy;
there’s nothing like being 31 and stuck needing to go and learn the ABCs when people tell you to only hang out in pre-school, you know?

thanks 🙏

EDIT: I have Aspergers, and for all the gifts of the mind I may or may not have; I could not focus or get through graduate-level community college. I did well in high school, but I was tardy and unable to focus or find inspiration at college, I have major depression, and I really am, in my opinion, capable of doing a lot in things/fields, when I get help; but, I am not able to really do things in “the system” (which is an utterly horrible way of describing such a vast and complex thing; but I kind of know what it is and use that poor title).ALSO, •has anyone ever been able to ion trap fully ionized atoms/isotopes and enter them to the bose einstein condensate state?
• I believe I saw of a non-bosonic rubidium isotope put into a bose einstein condensate state and could not find any description as to how/why
• have radioactive isotopes been rendered stable or with mutable stability when entered into a bose einstein condensate state?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Protons and neutrons are fermions, not bosons, they cannot form a Bose-Einstein condensate. They occupy energy levels in the nucleus in ascending order. As you pack more and more of them into a nucleus higher and higher energy levels are occupied. Eventually it becomes energetically possible to emit alpha nuclei (two protons+two neutrons), fission, or other decays, so the nucleus becomes unstable. The larger the nucleus the less stable it tends to be, which means they decay faster (that's a general trend, there are some exceptions).

well yes, but composite bosons; from this wikipedia (i know) quote: “
Composite particles (such as hadrons, nuclei, and atoms) can be bosons or fermions depending on their constituents. More precisely, because of the relation between spin and statistics, a particle containing an even number of fermions is a boson, since it has integer spin.

Examples include the following:

• Any meson, since mesons contain one quark and one antiquark.
  • The nucleus of a carbon-12 atom, which contains 6 protons and 6 neutrons.
  • The helium-4 atom, consisting of 2 protons, 2 neutrons and 2 electrons; Also the tritium atom, consisting of 1 proton, 2 neutrons and 1 electron.
  • The nucleus of deuterium, known as a deuteron, and its anti-particle.
The number of bosons within a composite particle made up of simple particles bound with a potential has no effect on whether it is a boson or a fermion.”

so, maybe without electrons, in a bose einstein condensate of a nucleus combonation of bosonic property; electrons could be injected (pairs of electrons being 1/2 spin each) akin to a chemical reaction and possibly, somewhat like cheese making, a curd/precipitate could form, with various nuclear by-products after “crystallization”/warming/breaking state ?

well besides nuclear transmutations; possibly there is a state that makes exotic matter more energetically stable, if kept in in that state ?

No.

What you quoted needs pairs that are bound stronger than their interaction with other stuff. You can do that with atoms (e.g. a hydrogen atom), or with pairs of atoms, but not with two nucleons in a nucleus.

haha (i mean everything i posted could be no)
but i am respectively asking to know which parts are no, and a little more why (also, i appreciate the simple explanations, and also request some further more in depth info, even if i don’t get it, the brain remembers)

i am not sure where you replied about pairs.
i did mean , with a nucleus or ionized atom which met bose einstein condensate integer spin, and then after BEC, somehow injecting bose einstein condensate matter with electrons or electrons themselves into the cooling “flask”(i don’t think pure electrons have been captured let alone, or put in a bose einstein condensate, but it is a possibile reality we don't know of ?)

1. What is a nuclear wavefunction?

A nuclear wavefunction is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a nucleus. It represents the probability amplitude of finding a nucleus in a particular energy state or location.

2. How is a Bose-Einstein condensate related to nuclear wavefunctions?

A Bose-Einstein condensate is a state of matter where a large number of bosons (particles with integer spin) occupy the same quantum state. In the case of nuclear wavefunctions, this means that a large number of nuclei are in the same energy state, resulting in a collective behavior.

3. What is the significance of Bose-Einstein condensates in nuclear physics?

Bose-Einstein condensates play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of nuclei in extreme conditions, such as in the core of stars or during nuclear reactions. They also provide insights into the properties of nuclear matter and the fundamental forces that govern it.

4. Can Bose-Einstein condensates be created in a laboratory?

Yes, Bose-Einstein condensates have been created in laboratory settings using ultracold atoms and ions. However, creating a Bose-Einstein condensate of nuclei is more challenging due to the strong repulsive forces between nuclei. It is an active area of research in nuclear physics.

5. How do nuclear wavefunctions and Bose-Einstein condensates relate to nuclear energy production?

Nuclear wavefunctions play a crucial role in understanding the stability and energy production of nuclei, which is the basis of nuclear energy. Bose-Einstein condensates also have potential applications in nuclear energy, such as in the development of more efficient nuclear reactors.