Are there any stats on global Internet traffic by protocol?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for recent statistics on global traffic by various application layer protocols such as DNS, HTTP, and SMTP. The speaker mentions difficulties in finding comprehensive data and expresses interest in learning more about identifying application protocols in communication channels. Additionally, the conversation mentions the absence of software and suggests looking at government or organization data. A suggested starting point for this research is provided.
Prez Cannady
Just like it says on the tin. Looking for recent statistics on global traffic by various (preferably application layer) protocols (i.e., DNS, HTTP, SMTP, etc.). Closest I can find are some regional and national breakdowns, but mostly from a lay reader's point of view.

Likes Pepper Mint
Prez Cannady said:
Just like it says on the tin. Looking for recent statistics on global traffic by various (preferably application layer) protocols (i.e., DNS, HTTP, SMTP, etc.). Closest I can find are some regional and national breakdowns, but mostly from a lay reader's point of view.
You may have to introduce us the software you have been experiencing with before you come to such a conclusion. For example Netfiller's subsystems. There are still many more I know. But since I don't particularly use any for my work I understand none. But I guess latest approaches to identifying which application protocol is being used in a communication channel would definitely inspire me to learn more about them and to input here some more thoughts.

Pepper Mint said:
You may have to introduce us the software you have been experiencing with before you come to such a conclusion. For example Netfiller's subsystems. There are still many more I know. But since I don't particularly use any for my work I understand none. But I guess latest approaches to identifying which application protocol is being used in a communication channel would definitely inspire me to learn more about them and to input here some more thoughts.

No software. Looking for global trend data, which I imagine would most likely be compiled by governments or organizations like Akamai.

1. What is the most commonly used protocol for global Internet traffic?

The most commonly used protocol for global Internet traffic is TCP (Transmission Control Protocol). This is because TCP is responsible for establishing and maintaining reliable connections between devices on the Internet, making it essential for transferring large amounts of data.

2. How does the amount of traffic differ between TCP and UDP protocols?

TCP accounts for the majority of global Internet traffic, with roughly 90% of all traffic being transmitted using this protocol. UDP (User Datagram Protocol) only accounts for about 10% of global Internet traffic, as it is typically used for real-time communication such as audio and video streaming.

3. Are there any other protocols besides TCP and UDP that contribute to global Internet traffic?

Yes, there are several other protocols that contribute to global Internet traffic, such as HTTP, FTP, and DNS. These protocols are responsible for specific tasks such as retrieving web pages, transferring files, and translating domain names to IP addresses.

4. Is the amount of global Internet traffic by protocol consistent across all regions?

The amount of global Internet traffic by protocol may vary slightly between regions, but the overall distribution is generally consistent. TCP is still the dominant protocol, followed by UDP and then other protocols.

5. How have the trends in global Internet traffic by protocol changed over time?

The amount of global Internet traffic by protocol has shifted over time as new technologies and applications have emerged. For example, with the rise of video streaming services, UDP traffic has increased. Additionally, the use of encryption protocols such as HTTPS has also grown in recent years.