Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there multiverse models with infinte regress?

1. May 1, 2015 #1
    I seem to recall a documentary that I watched a few years ago describing the multiverse, with M-theory, as being similar to slices of bread, all next to each other. (Obviously just an analogy for the lay person). And when these two universes next to each other collided, it would create a new universe. I'm pretty sure that it was said that this had an infinite regress, but now when I search online for any reference to a multiverse with an infinite regress, I can't find one.

Are there any multiverse models with an infinite regress?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2015 #2
    The model you are referring to ( colliding branes) is the Ekpyrotic model of Turok and Steinhardt. You can read abut it here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekpyrotic_universe
    In cosmology when people talk about a multiverse they are normally talking about eternal inflation which is a very different model.
    you can read about that here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_inflation

Im not quite sure what you mean by infinite regress but it is typical in models of eternal inflation that the number of "pocket universes" as Guth calls them, is infinite. The pocket universes themelves are generally considered to be infinite in size. The process is also considered to be eternal into the future. Wehther or not it is eternal into the past is disputed amonst researchers who work within the eternal inflation context. Some like Vilenkin and Mithani say it must have had a beginning, other like Aguirre and Nomura say it didn't. Nobody knows ( assuming eternal inflation is even the right model of reality).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook