Are there transferable skills obtained with a medical physics M.Sc.?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concerns and potential job opportunities for someone with a Master's degree in medical physics. The field is currently saturated, making it difficult to find clinical employment without a PhD or residency. However, there are still options such as residencies, health physics and radiation safety positions, and opportunities with major and minor vendors in the industry. Additionally, there may be opportunities in other branches of medical physics such as MRI, diagnostic imaging, and nuclear medicine. Efforts are being made to increase the number of clinical imaging physicists in response to healthcare regulations.
Rickyduds
Hello,

I was hoping for some input from anyone with any advice. I'm happily studying for my masters degree in medical physics at a campep accredited university, but I have a reasonable stress when it comes to the future.

Can anyone comment on other avenues one could pursue with a masters degree in medical physics? I imagine teaching, but I wouldn't want to teach high school. Any comments or personal stories would be greatly appreciated.

As anyone in medical physics knows, the field is not booming as it once was 10 years ago and is quite saturated at the moment. From a particularly cynical prof, we were pretty much told our chances were near zero of obtaining clinical employment or work in industry without a residency, and chances of getting a residency are extremely small without a PhD (which I did not intend to pursue due to a massive student debt).
For this reason, a bit of a back up plan would be comforting!

Thanks!
Rick

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Don' t automatically count yourself out with respect to residencies. It's true that the PhD graduates are generally more competitive - especially for the residency-postdoc hybrid positions. And the numbers are, last I heard, are in the ballpark of ~100 residencies for ~250 graduates. But I know that the AAPM is well-aware of this issue and is making efforts to expand the number of accredited residencies with specific emphasis on MSc graduates. I personally know three MSc's who've made their way through residencies over the last 5 years or so, it's not impossible.

2. Health physics and radiation safety officer positions. I know a few MSc graduates who have gone this route and seem quite happy with it.

3. Look to the major vendors. Companies like Varian will hire physicists to help out with training, technical support (usually not the front lines, but the go-to guys for when the service guys can't figure something out), technical sales, and even project management.

4. Look to the minor vendors. If you have a chance to attend a major conference like AAPM or ASTRO or RSNA, you'll see a lot of smaller companies that cater to niche markets: supplying QA devices, immobilization devices, brachytherapy applicators, radiochromic film, etc. These companies will hire physics graduates for the same reason that the larger ones will.

5. I suppose this may be program-specific, but keep an open mind to the other branches of medical physics outside of radiation oncology physics: MRI, diagnostic imaging, and nuclear medicine. While these positions tend to make up a smaller portion of medical physics, they aren't completely negligible. I know there are efforts in Canada to increase the number of clinical imaging physicists in response to Health Canada's safety code 35 and for good reason: properly functioning imaging equipment reduces false positives and false negatives and ultimately reduces costs to the healthcare system. I don't know if similar efforts are underway in the US, but I would imagine so through the Image Smartly and Image Gently campaigns.

I hope that helps.

Thanks Choppy, as always your answer is very helpful and informative. Much appreciated.

1. What are transferable skills?

Transferable skills are abilities that can be applied to various situations and industries. These skills are not specific to one job or field, but can be utilized in a variety of settings.

2. Can a medical physics M.Sc. provide transferable skills?

Yes, a medical physics M.Sc. can provide transferable skills. This degree involves a wide range of coursework and practical experiences that can develop skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication, which are applicable to many careers.

3. How can transferable skills obtained from a medical physics M.Sc. benefit me in other professions?

Transferable skills obtained from a medical physics M.Sc. can benefit you in other professions by providing you with a strong foundation in technical and scientific knowledge, as well as skills that are in high demand in a variety of fields. These skills can help you adapt to new roles and industries and make you a well-rounded and versatile employee.

4. What are some examples of transferable skills obtained with a medical physics M.Sc.?

Some examples of transferable skills obtained with a medical physics M.Sc. include problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, teamwork, communication, and research skills. Additionally, this degree can also develop skills in project management, technology proficiency, and attention to detail.

5. How can I highlight my transferable skills obtained from a medical physics M.Sc. in my job search?

You can highlight your transferable skills obtained from a medical physics M.Sc. in your job search by showcasing them in your resume and cover letter. You can also provide specific examples of how you have utilized these skills in your coursework, research, or practical experiences during interviews. Networking and informational interviews can also help you highlight your transferable skills and make connections with professionals in your desired field.