Are too many students going into CompSci?

In summary, the article discusses the growing trend of students going into computer science, and the concerns that have been raised about the number of students going into the field. The article also provides data on the number of graduates in the field.
MidgetDwarf said:
Dos Equis man
sorry for the diversion but this one cracks me up

i-dont-always-eb8c303c61.jpg

• Haha
Likes russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
MidgetDwarf said:
You learn non stem subjects to not bore hot chicks lol. Unless one wants to be a girl repellent for life.
Are you insinuating that there is a dearth of attractive females eager to engage in stimulating conversations on STEM topics?

Likes gwnorth
Whether there are "too many computer science students" really hinges on two questions:

1. Can students who are genuinely interested in the computer science field even be admitted into a suitable program, given the increasing demand for the degree, and limited numbers of faculty and teaching staff to teach the students?

2. Are the increasing number of students wishing to study computer science aligned with the actual number of available open positions?

With respect to #1 above, there are already numerous cases of universities using various "gatekeeping" methods such as higher tuition and limits on the number of students admitted/enrolled in CS programs. I suspect that these gatekeeping methods may perversely impact students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds or marginalized backgrounds, although admittedly I do not have any data or am aware of any studies assessing this.

As far as #2 above is concerned, we have already seen evidence with the number of layoffs at major tech firms like Google, Amazon, Meta (formerly Facebook), etc. that entry-level positions have become more competitive for new graduates. I would also suspect that a glut of CS graduates with limited positions may also serve to depress wages (if simplistic economic theories of supply/demand in the labour market is taken into account). So it would be interesting to see what impact the current economic climate may have on future CS enrolments in the US and Canada.

Last edited:
Likes swampwiz
StatGuy2000 said:
Whether there are "too many computer science students" really hinges on two questions:

1. Can students who are genuinely interested in the computer science field even be admitted into a suitable program, given the increasing demand for the degree, and limited numbers of faculty and teaching staff to teach the students?

2. Are the increasing number of students wishing to study computer science aligned with the actual number of available open positions?

With respect to #1 above, there are already numerous cases of universities using various "gatekeeping" methods such as higher tuition and limits on the number of students admitted/enrolled in CS programs. I suspect that these gatekeeping methods may perversely impact students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds or marginalized backgrounds, although admittedly I do not have any data or have any studies assessing this.

As far as #2 above is concerned, we have already seen evidence with the number of layoffs at major tech firms like Google, Amazon, Meta (formerly Facebook), etc. that entry-level positions have become more competitive for new graduates. I would also suspect that a glut of CS graduates with limited positions may also serve to depress wages (if simplistic supply/demand in labour is taken into account). So it would be interesting to see what impact the current economic climate may have on future CS enrolments in the US and Canada.
Recently, my sisters kid was applying for colleges. Anyhow, I noticed that CS was an impacted major. Not sure if this was the case at Santa Cruz, but that is where he decided to go.

StatGuy2000 said:

With respect to #1 above, there are already numerous cases of universities using various "gatekeeping" methods such as higher tuition and limits on the number of students admitted/enrolled in CS programs. I suspect that these gatekeeping methods may perversely impact students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds or marginalized backgrounds, although admittedly I do not have any data or am aware of any studies assessing this.

As far as #2 above is concerned, we have already seen evidence with the number of layoffs at major tech firms like Google, Amazon, Meta (formerly Facebook), etc. that entry-level positions have become more competitive for new graduates. I would also suspect that a glut of CS graduates with limited positions may also serve to depress wages (if simplistic supply/demand in labour is taken into account). So it would be interesting to see what impact the current economic climate may have on future CS enrolments in the US and Canada.
Based on my cynical experience with the STEM jobs marketplace, I would say that there is a delay of a few years in feedback loop of student majors and the demand in the marketplace. My first experience was watching folks a few years my senior pour into Geology & Petroleum Engineering in the midst of the OPEC oil embargo - and resultant explosion in offshore drilling in the Gulf of Mexico of the late '70s; then as soon as one could tell the Saudis "get the Soviets out of Afghanistan by flooding the market with oil", the price of oil crashed, and the popularity of these programs fell like a sudden sinkhole in Florida. A decade or so later, in the midst of the Reagan arms buildup, Aerospace Engineering was popular; then as soon as the Soviet Empire collapsed, the era of Michael Douglas's D-Fense and his "Falling Down" was upon is, and the popularity of that program collapsed like an Eastern European currency (I was such an Aerospace Engineer - degree actually in Mechanical Engineering - and I managed to dodge the layoffs due simply to the fact that corporations hate hiring older folks).

The job market for programmers seems to have gone through a few cycles, mainly due to the rise of the new k3wl thing, and the job destruction of American programmers due to the various worker visas like the H1B, L1, etc. I have to think that the rise of the popularity, within the general population, of smartphones and social media, and also the steady increase in demand of programmers (up until recently), and as well the de-geeking of the profession, has gotten everyone wanting to be a programmer. I predict that the coming glut of CompSci students will be sucked up by corporations - with there just being more 40-somethings getting thrown out of work since corporations will have younger blood to suck on.

Likes Math100, DeBangis21 and symbolipoint
swampwiz said:
Based on my cynical experience with the STEM jobs marketplace, I would say that there is a delay of a few years in feedback loop of student majors and the demand in the marketplace. My first experience was watching folks a few years my senior pour into Geology & Petroleum Engineering in the midst of the OPEC oil embargo - and resultant explosion in offshore drilling in the Gulf of Mexico of the late '70s; then as soon as one could tell the Saudis "get the Soviets out of Afghanistan by flooding the market with oil", the price of oil crashed, and the popularity of these programs fell like a sudden sinkhole in Florida.
Yes. My nephew was caught up in this scenario. He entered MIT as a freshman in the early 1980's. He decided to major in chemical engineering, mainly because of the strong job market in the wake of the OPEC oil crisis. By the time he graduated, however, the job market in this field had run dry. He pivoted, went to medical school, and has had a long, stable, successful career as an eye doctor.

My favorite example of the volatility in the job market is the InterNet Bubble of the 1990's. Even as of late 1999, there was a shortage of scientists and engineers to work on optoelectronic devices and networks to feed the massive bandwidth requirements of InterNet services. But just 6 months later, in mid 2000, there were danger signs. And by mid 2001, the Bubble had burst catastrophically, with major layoffs across the industry and some shining stars going dark.

Likes Vanadium 50 and swampwiz