Are UK/USA Math Books Better for Self-Learning Than Eastern European Ones?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hellbike
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Europe Uk Usa
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
hellbike
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
I wonder if mathematical books from USA/UK better than for example russian books?

I use mostly russian ( i live in eastern Europe), and they are hard for self-learning person (i'm thinking about books for mathematicians-to-be, not engineers). I wonder if books that are used in UK/USA sre much better.

I was using Fichtenholz's book for calculus till now, but I'm thinking about changing to Spivak.

I would like to know opinion of someone, who have had experience with both - eastern and western books.

Also, Correcting my english is welcome.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to answer this question definitively as it depends on many factors such as the particular author, the level of difficulty, the topics covered, and the style of explanation. Generally speaking, the quality of mathematical books from the US or UK are often high, though this does not necessarily make them better than Russian books for all learners. Ultimately, the best book for any individual learner will depend on their learning style and preferences. For example, some people may find that Spivak's book is more accessible than Fichtenholz's, while others may prefer the latter. Therefore, it is best to read reviews and sample chapters of different books before deciding which one is best for you.