Are you going to work until you're 103?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, Elliott Carter, a composer who broke traditional boundaries, recently passed away at the age of 103. His last work was a set of piano pieces, finished in August. The conversation also touches on the idea of retirement and working until old age, with some individuals expressing a fear of not being able to work and others finding joy in it. The conversation also mentions the possibility of medical advancements prolonging life and the debate over whether or not it is natural to replace body parts.
Physics news on Phys.org
Subject to replacement parts being available - sure why not?

I don't know, but what do you mean by "work" ? It has a lot of meanings. :blushing:
Sure you can write music pieces till you die but you can't do many things at the age when your youth antenna is already down

I remember hearing an interview with EC on BBC radio when he was coming up to 100. From the way he talked you could easily have believed ue was nearer 40 or 50. Only one question left him speechless - and that was "have you made any plans to stop working?"

you can't do many things at the age when your youth antenna is already down
You can complete a PhD when you are 76, if you want: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/1026487332

Last edited by a moderator:
It was just his hobby, many people too have their hobbies. An IT professor I know a little about holds a PhD in Chemistry, her life is all with IT, wonder what does her ChemPhD is being used for. Higher education offers a higher level of abstraction which I think might also be acquired during practical working experience and time. Bill is an example of encouragement, "people can build a company from $100" is another, etc but would we then be our social selves and nice with each other and think of life much harder or easier; the truth remains, relativity works better as always.

Possibly - my paternal grandfather lived to 103.5 - with all his original equipment. The last 3 months of his live were difficult however due to recurrent pulmonary infections.

There is more than enough to keep me busy for several lifetimes.

I've recently realized that I *dread* the idea of 'retirement'. I'm happiest when I'm working a task or a rather demanding hobby.

The idea of a month of Sundays...yikes, no thanks!

lisab said:
I've recently realized that I *dread* the idea of 'retirement'. I'm happiest when I'm working a task or a rather demanding hobby.

The idea of a month of Sundays...yikes, no thanks!

I concur.

I'm living through years of Sundays. It's not much fun.

Sundays?

When you're retired and you happen to evolve into tribe head, (pater familiaris), you've lots of family issues to attend, kids to help out, grandchildren to babysit, distant relatives to visit and help out with building houses, or cutting wood, hiking in nature to collect the nicest pictures and visit Earth science projects to help digging and discovering.

I couldn't wait to retire.

Last edited:
I hope I will still be able to play video games when I retire; wiping the floor with young whippersnappers will be a joy I would sincerely miss

I'd love to but I'm not sure if my physical situation would let me do that!

It depends what you mean by work. I would never be a wage slave but do inspired things every day. I retired from making money early in life and just am a lifetime learner and volunteer. Death is part of being human and nothing to fear or worry about. I do not think I would want medical parts replaced as it is not natural life and death. I am more a holistic individual not one that needs goals to have a quality life.

Retirement system in my country would presumably require something like that from me... ;)

Given the demographic transition and developments in medicine for age-related diseases I expect many of my generation to work far longer than previous.

I'm quite possibly going to die by the age of 70, but I intend to work until I'm physically incapable of doing so.

They're going to have to pry my graphing calculator out of my cold, dead fingers!

Won't we all have Mathematica on our über-smartphones by then?

1. Will working until the age of 103 have any negative effects on my health?

It is important to consider your individual health and capabilities when deciding to work until the age of 103. While some people may be able to continue working at that age without any negative effects, others may experience fatigue, stress, and other health issues. It is recommended to consult with a healthcare professional before making such a decision.

2. Is it even possible to work until the age of 103?

Technically, it is possible to work until the age of 103. However, it largely depends on your occupation, physical and mental health, and personal circumstances. Some people may be able to continue working at that age, while others may need to retire earlier due to health or other factors.

3. What are the benefits of working until the age of 103?

Working until the age of 103 can have several benefits, such as staying mentally sharp and socially connected, having a sense of purpose and fulfillment, and potentially having a longer retirement period with more financial stability. However, it is important to balance these potential benefits with any potential negative effects on health and quality of life.

4. How can I prepare myself to work until the age of 103?

To prepare yourself to work until the age of 103, it is important to prioritize your health and maintain a healthy lifestyle. This includes regular exercise, a balanced diet, and managing stress levels. It is also important to continue learning and staying mentally active, as well as having a strong support system of family and friends.

5. What are some challenges I may face if I work until the age of 103?

Some potential challenges of working until the age of 103 include physical and mental fatigue, potential discrimination or ageism in the workplace, and potential health issues that may arise. It is important to be aware of these challenges and to have a plan in place to address them, such as taking breaks, seeking support, and making necessary adjustments to your workload.