Are you willing to change for social acceptance?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sean1234
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceptance Change
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 6K views
Beauty is only skin deep, ugly goes down to the bone.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cyrusabdollahi said:
:rolleyes: People judge each other based on physical apperance all the time. You do it every single day, weither you like to admit it or not.

Indeed but then I don't go round sniggering about it like a little girl. I also have an ability to override first impressions which comes with a common sense approach to social encounters.

Sean I'd say you just ignore the people making fun, if you get annoyed or talk to them about it, they'll probably get a rise out of you, which is what they're looking for,some kids are purile idiots. Be the bigger man, and take it on the chin, then if you feel later that you'd like to get treatment when you can afford it so be it. Adversity breeds character, it may seem like a big deal now, but it really isn't.
 
i thought you meant something like, would i change from math to physics to be more popular!
 
Kurdt said:
The condition of being human allows one to see past physical appearance. I admit that everyone has an initial reaction to other peoples physical appearance but surely we're evolved enough to take a more logical approach. Its really not that difficult.

I guess you control your own subconscious thoughs. :rolleyes:
 
JasonRox said:
I guess you control your own subconscious thoughs. :rolleyes:

I didn't say we could stop initial reactions. Its not about controlling the subconscious, its more about consciously deciding to ignore your preconceptions.
 
The biggest thing you can do that will have the most impact (other than plastic surgery) would be to dress nicely and be well groomed. Remember, most communication between you and a total stranger is NON verbal (probably 80%). What you wear and how you present yourself says a huge amount on your behalf. My best frined works in intelligence in the Marine Corps, and one of the first things he evaluates on a mark is what they are wearing. Well dressed people always turn heads, whether we like to admit it or not.
 
I agree. Stay clean, avoid being "unkempt," and dress well. Having a nice car is very good :)