Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Area of Goalbox vs. Area of Penalty Box (rationals)

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Area of goal box (soccer field) is described with (10x^2) / 27 and area of penalty box is described with (22x^2) / 9 . Determine how many times greater in size the penalty box is compared to the goal box.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I created the areas of the boxes based from dimensions, and simplified to what I have given (assume they are correct). Just don't get how to figure out that size difference (which is terrible since I just completed this question on the Fermat math contest for Waterloo earlier today, no problem, but I get thrown off in even easier math?)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2
    read the question again. you don't even have to know the areas... it is simply asking for a ratio between the two

4. Feb 19, 2008 #3
    well ya... Simple ratio is (10x^2)/27 : (22x^2)/9 ... sooo.. would I then put that into fraction form (not sure which on top vs bottom for this situation), then simplify as far as possible...?

5. Feb 20, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

"Determine how many times greater in size the penalty box is compared to the goal box."
    You want "penalty box" over "goal box".

(22x^2) / 9 over (10x^2) / 27 which is the same as (22x^2)/9 times 27/(10x^2).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook