1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of Goalbox vs. Area of Penalty Box (rationals)

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Area of goal box (soccer field) is described with (10x^2) / 27 and area of penalty box is described with (22x^2) / 9 . Determine how many times greater in size the penalty box is compared to the goal box.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I created the areas of the boxes based from dimensions, and simplified to what I have given (assume they are correct). Just don't get how to figure out that size difference (which is terrible since I just completed this question on the Fermat math contest for Waterloo earlier today, no problem, but I get thrown off in even easier math?)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2
    read the question again. you don't even have to know the areas... it is simply asking for a ratio between the two

4. Feb 19, 2008 #3
    well ya... Simple ratio is (10x^2)/27 : (22x^2)/9 ... sooo.. would I then put that into fraction form (not sure which on top vs bottom for this situation), then simplify as far as possible...?

5. Feb 20, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Determine how many times greater in size the penalty box is compared to the goal box."
    You want "penalty box" over "goal box".

(22x^2) / 9 over (10x^2) / 27 which is the same as (22x^2)/9 times 27/(10x^2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?