1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Areas of physics that uses Statistics

1. Oct 12, 2016 #1
    My background is applied mathematics and statistics. A lot of the problems that I have been applying statistical methods towards have been very dry(medical studies, etc).

Actually my favorite subject is physics, but I don't have too much experience in it. I am willing to learn. Any suggestions on areas that might be interesting and is in demand?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2016 #2
    Hi FallenApple,
    I'm not too experienced with this, but can offer a little advice (maybe). (1) Have you had a look at statistical mechanics? The field attempts to understand bulk properties from microscopic interactions using statistical methods (2) Statistical mechanics can be applied directly to modelling protein interactions and conformational changes (if you're into that stuff). Don't know if it's in demand per se, but it is highly specialized, and I guess with anything you do there will be competition, just make sure you pick something you like!

4. Oct 14, 2016 #3
    Hi,It is good to see that you are interested in Physics. I am a Physics teacher and have found in all these years that the only area where Physics is in demand is teaching. There is a dearth of good Physics teachers. The other area where Physicists are in demand is research. Openings are few and there is a lot of competition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted