Areas that Combine Chemistry and Mech Engr?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person who is dual degreeing in chemistry and mechanical engineering and is trying to find a career that combines both majors. The suggested fields of study include combustion and materials science, which involves studying the interactions between molecules and how they affect material properties.
willibre
I'm dual degreeing in chemistry and ME since I didn't have a specific area of interest. I'm now a junior and am just trying to narrow down what I want to do. It would be nice to find something that utilizes what I've been learning from both majors. What are some areas (fields of study or specific jobs) that combine chemistry and ME? Much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am a MechE and I don't know anything about chemistry but the obvious answer to me is combustion.

Materials science.

+1 on materials science. The field involves how molecules interact and react (chemistry) while also observing how those interactions affect to overall material properties (mechanical).

As a scientist with a background in both chemistry and mechanical engineering, I can assure you that there are many exciting and rewarding career paths that combine these two disciplines. One area that immediately comes to mind is materials science, which involves the study of the properties and behavior of different materials at the molecular level. This field requires a strong understanding of both chemistry and mechanical engineering principles, as well as hands-on experience with experimentation and analysis techniques.

Other potential areas of interest could include chemical engineering, where you can apply your knowledge of chemistry to design and optimize processes for manufacturing and production. Alternatively, you could explore the field of nanotechnology, which involves the manipulation of matter at the nanoscale and often requires a combination of chemistry and mechanical engineering skills.

In terms of specific jobs, some possibilities include working as a research and development engineer for a company in the chemical or materials industry, or as a process engineer in a manufacturing plant. You could also consider pursuing a career in academia as a professor or researcher, where you can continue to explore the intersection of chemistry and mechanical engineering through cutting-edge research.

Ultimately, the best way to narrow down your interests and find a career that combines your two majors is to gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities. These experiences will not only help you apply your knowledge in a practical setting but also give you a better idea of what specific areas within chemistry and mechanical engineering interest you the most. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Related to Areas that Combine Chemistry and Mech Engr?

1. How does chemistry play a role in mechanical engineering?

Chemistry is an important aspect of mechanical engineering, as it allows engineers to understand the properties and behavior of materials used in mechanical systems. This knowledge is essential in designing and creating efficient and durable mechanical components.

2. Can you provide an example of an area that combines chemistry and mechanical engineering?

One example is the field of materials science, which combines chemistry and mechanical engineering to study the structure, properties, and processing of materials used in various mechanical applications, such as aerospace, automotive, and biomedical industries.

3. How is knowledge of chemistry used in the design process of mechanical systems?

Chemistry is used in the design process of mechanical systems to select the appropriate materials for specific applications based on their physical and chemical properties. This ensures that the mechanical system will function properly and withstand any external factors.

4. What are some potential career paths for individuals with a background in both chemistry and mechanical engineering?

Individuals with a background in both chemistry and mechanical engineering can pursue careers in various industries, such as materials engineering, process engineering, or research and development. They can also work in fields related to energy, environmental science, and pharmaceuticals.

5. What skills are necessary to excel in areas that combine chemistry and mechanical engineering?

To excel in areas that combine chemistry and mechanical engineering, one must have a strong foundation in both subjects, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are essential for collaborating with colleagues and successfully completing projects.