Argue that lim g(x), with x → -1, = -2

• Thread starter SixBooks
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the notation and definition of a limit, as well as how to prove and interpret it using the epsilon-delta definition and a graph. It also mentions the possibility of a limit being undefined and how to argue for a specific limit using a graph.
SixBooks
Hello, everybody!

The function g: R → R is differentiable in -1, g' (-1) = 2 and g (-1) = -2. Can someone show me (how to argue) that lim g(x), with x → -1, = -2?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If a function is differentiable at a point, then it is continuous there.

If ##g## is differentiable, then:

$$\displaystyle \lim_{x -> a} \frac{f(x) - f(a)}{x - a} = f'(a)$$

1. What does "lim g(x), with x → -1, = -2" mean?

This notation represents the limit of the function g(x) as x approaches -1, and the limit value is equal to -2.

2. How do you prove that lim g(x), with x → -1, = -2?

To prove this limit, we need to show that for any given value ε > 0, there exists a corresponding value δ > 0 such that whenever |x - (-1)| < δ (i.e. x is close enough to -1), then |g(x) - (-2)| < ε (i.e. g(x) is close enough to -2). This can be done using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

3. Can a limit equal a different value than the function at that point?

Yes, it is possible for a limit to be different than the function value at that point. This is because a limit is a measure of the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific point, not necessarily the value of the function at that point.

4. What does it mean if lim g(x), with x → -1, = -2 is undefined?

If the limit of g(x) as x approaches -1 is undefined, it means that the function g(x) either does not exist or is not defined at x = -1. This could be due to a discontinuity or an asymptote at that point.

5. How can I use a graph to argue that lim g(x), with x → -1, = -2?

To argue that the limit of g(x) as x approaches -1 is equal to -2, we can use a graph to show that as x gets closer and closer to -1, the values of g(x) also get closer and closer to -2. We can also use the graph to visually demonstrate that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the function at x = -1, which would indicate that the limit does not exist.