1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arguing work is an inexact differential

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    Hey,

Given the fundamental thermodynamic relation (dN=0) ; TdS=pdV+dU, I have to argue that pdV is inexact. I know that dS and dU are exact differentials and that the integral of an exact differential around a closed loop will give a zero result, not too sure where to start, the question is only a couple of marks so the answer need only be brief but my understanding is limited as to why pdV, the work, has to be an inexact differential.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hey Sekonda! :smile:

What would you add to pdV to make it an exact differential? :wink:

4. Feb 5, 2012 #3
    Vdp?

I'm still not sure I'm going to have to think about this a bit more!

5. Feb 5, 2012 #4
    Is this the correct term to add to pdV to make it an exact differential; if so, how does this imply that pdV is inexact?

6. Feb 5, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, pdV + Vdp is an exact differential … it's exactly d(pV).

So that means that (unless Vdp = 0, ie p is constant) pdV is not exact. :smile:

7. Feb 5, 2012 #6
    Ahh yes that does make sense! I'm always bad at 'arguing', 'showing' or 'proofing' questions; thanks man.

Cheers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook