Around 9.03 the lady says there's rum in the cupboard

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
In summary, both rum and whisky are spirits with different strengths. The one with higher proof is stronger. Something with more alcohol by volume (ABV) will cause more damage to your kidneys. Wine usually has 12-15%, and spirits are by definition over 20%. Some whiskey/rum from cask can have 60% ABV.
Physics news on Phys.org

With no labels on the bottles, it's impossible to tell. One could be white rum, and the other an amber or dark rum.
Most likely, though, they are both coloured water, flat pop, etc.; real alcohol is essentially never used by actors.

Sniff 'em.

Why did they mix them?

Thanks, everyone.

Dan, why would they mix white rum with dark rum/amber ale? Does it improve taste?

Evo, I have seen this practice in many movies, especially Indian movies. I myself would like to know the reason.

The dark colored bottle is rum. The colorless bottle without a label is water. Indian rum is often mixed with soda, e.g. Pepsi and sometimes Sprite, but in this case the second bottle is most likely water.

I got my wife to watch, but she says the liquids are not specifically identified.

Maybe the clear liquid is water. Water is not available 24 hours a day, so keeping a bottle of water beside a bottle of booze makes sense.

Hamster, you are right but it's not Pepsi or Coke.

George, it could be water but water is not served in the type of bottle they've used.

jackson6612 said:
Dan, why would they mix white rum with dark rum/amber ale?
I defer to Hamster's expertise in the matter. My 20 years of bartending was restricted to Canadian culture. Here, white rum is mixed with any kind of pop or fruit juice. Dark and amber types are usually mixed with only cola or juice; they don't really go well with 7-Up or ginger ale.

jackson6612 said:
George, it could be water but water is not served in the type of bottle they've used.

I wondered about that, but, still, it seems like water to me.

My wife couldn't pull herself away, and finally exclaimed "What have you got me watching!"

Both rum and whisky are spirits. Which one is more strong?

Is this true that spirits can cause more damage to the body than alcoholic beverages, such as wine, with lower alcohol content?

Thanks for the help.

jackson6612 said:

Is this true that spirits can cause more damage to the body than alcoholic beverages, such as wine, with lower alcohol content?

Thanks for the help.

The one with higher proof is stronger. Something with more alcohol by volume (ABV) will cause more damage to your kidneys. Wine usually has 12-15%, and spirits are by definition over 20%. Some whiskey/rum from cask can have 60% ABV.

Edit: Generally for a healthy male 21-30 I would say if you drink on any single occasion less than 40 grams of ethanol you should be 'OK' provided you don't have any other conditions. The way to calculate this is rather simple: Say you are drinking 100 mL of vodka (40% ABV). That means you have 40 mL of ethanol in there. Ethanol's density is 0.79 grams/mL. 40*0.79=31.6 grams. So you should be safe.

Cirrhosis of the liver can develop if you drink more than 80 grams/day for over 10 years. So if you consume over 250 cc of Vodka a day, or over 800 cc of wine a day, or over 2 liters of beer a day, then you have a chance of developing cirrhosis.

This is an excerpt from the bible of medicine (for me), the Merck Manual:
If consumption exceeds 230 g/day for 20 yr, risk of cirrhosis is about 50%. But only some chronic alcohol abusers develop liver disease. Thus, variations in alcohol intake do not fully explain variations in susceptibility, indicating that other factors are involved.

But keep in mind, long before you develop the cirrhosis of the liver, your kidneys will fail and your brain will melt from the Korsakoff's psychosis. Muahahha

Last edited:

jackson6612 said:

The strength (ie: alcohol content) depends upon the manufacturing process. Again, I can speak only for Canadian stuff. All normal liquors such as rums, vodkas, whiskeys, etc. are 40% alcohol by volume. Special versions can go much higher, such as Appleton's rum at 120-proof (60%) or Everclear at 190-proof.
Medical opinions change almost daily as regard health benefits and hazards. By the way, standard commercial servings (as in a bar) of wine, beer, and liquor have the same alcohol content. Liquor is served in 1-ounce increments, wine in 4-ounce glasses, and beer in 12-ounce cans or bottles.

edit: I see that Cronxeh sneaked in ahead of me.

Bacardi Rum has a 151 proof rum (75.5%), which is really for flambaying, not so much for drinking. But people drink it.

Evo said:
Bacardi Rum has a 151 proof rum (75.5%), which is really for flambaying, not so much for drinking. But people drink it.

Can I do a belly button shot of that from you? :biggrin:

Hi Dan

Sorry, I couldn't get it. ABV or alcohol content is one of the main differences between them.

By the way, standard commercial servings (as in a bar) of wine, beer, and liquor have the same alcohol content. Liquor is served in 1-ounce increments, wine in 4-ounce glasses, and beer in 12-ounce cans or bottles.

Evo said:

I ran out of Captain Morgan's once (black label, for those who judge) so I decided to mix my rum and coke with some Bacardi 151 we had lying around for Flaming Dr Peppers. That was a bad idea.

I have had non-alcoholic malted drinks several times. They taste so bad and bitter. This is one of the main reasons that I've never inclined myself into tasting fermented drinks. AND this has always left me wondering what is so special about fermented malted drinks. Does fermentation really change the 'badness' and 'bitterness' into something palatable such as Coke, Sprite?

jackson6612 said:
I have had non-alcoholic malted drinks several times. They taste so bad and bitter. This is one of the main reasons that I've never inclined myself into tasting fermented drinks. AND this has always left me wondering what is so special about fermented malted drinks. Does fermentation really change the 'badness' and 'bitterness' into something palatable such as Coke, Sprite?

The bitterness does not go away. In fact, beer brewers usually add hops to their brew with intent to make it bitter, strong beer is supposed to be. It's just a different taste. Not like Coke/Sprite at all. One important difference is that beer is never sweet. Even a trace of sweetness (due to incomplete fermentation) can make it taste gross.

A lot of people add salt to their beer. It mellows out the flavour and also brings the "head" down immediately so you don't get foam all over your nose.

Which one of the alcoholic beverages (brand or type like beer, wine, spirit) is the most beneficial to health and has good taste?

Pepsi and Coke have almost identical flavors though there are subtle differences. In case of alcohol some of the things which are responsible for the differences are: percentage of ethanol (beer and wine have different amount of ethanol), source of ethanol (like the grain used), procedure of production adopted (spirit or liquor is produced through distillation), containers used.

What are other factors responsible for the differences? I think the containers such as casks used during production of alcohol can add to the flavor of the end product. Can the containers used alter the end product in some other way too?

Please help me with these. Thanks.

jackson6612 said:
Which one of the alcoholic beverages (brand or type like beer, wine, spirit) is the most beneficial to health and has good taste?

Pepsi and Coke have almost identical flavors though there are subtle differences. In case of alcohol some of the things which are responsible for the differences are: percentage of ethanol (beer and wine have different amount of ethanol), source of ethanol (like the grain used), procedure of production adopted (spirit or liquor is produced through distillation), containers used.

What are other factors responsible for the differences? I think the containers such as casks used during production of alcohol can add to the flavor of the end product. Can the containers used alter the end product in some other way too?

Please help me with these. Thanks.

Red wine supposedly contains resveratrol, so in addition to benefits for your cardiovascular system you also get the antioxidant benefit. Provided you don't drink more than a glass of red wine a day.

Beer has the vitamins. But I don't think there are any benefits from spirits, so I don't drink them.

cronxeh said:
Red wine supposedly contains resveratrol, so in addition to benefits for your cardiovascular system you also get the antioxidant benefit. Provided you don't drink more than a glass of red wine a day.

Beer has the vitamins. But I don't think there are any benefits from spirits, so I don't drink them.

IIRC the origin of benefits to the cardio system has not been decisively proven. At least some studies show that people who drink moderate amounts of beer & spirits (under two drinks a day) have lower rates of cardiovascular diseases, just like those who drink red wine.

Only the unfiltered beer contains vitamins.

Evo said:

And because I'm a dolt, it took me until just now to figure out why the 7 year old rum I was sipping was much more mild and tolerable than the usual liquor store variety.

The 7 year old stuff is only 80 proof.

I knew all this, I just never connected the dots...

DaveC426913 said:
And because I'm a dolt, it took me until just now to figure out why the 7 year old rum I was sipping was much more mild and tolerable than the usual liquor store variety.

The 7 year old stuff is only 80 proof.

I knew all this, I just never connected the dots...

:frown: :bugeye: :frown: (Why don't we have a smiley for shaking one's head morosely?)
One of these days, Dave, we're going to have to take you to the vet and have you put down for your own good.

1. What is the significance of the time "9.03" in the statement?

The time "9.03" is likely a reference to a specific time in the evening when the event or conversation took place. It could also be a time that holds personal significance to the lady or the person speaking. Without further context, it is impossible to determine the exact meaning.

2. Who is the "lady" mentioned in the statement?

The "lady" mentioned is likely a specific person who said the statement or someone being referred to in the conversation. Again, without further context, it is impossible to determine the exact identity of the "lady."

3. What does "rum in the cupboard" refer to?

"Rum in the cupboard" is likely a reference to a bottle of rum being stored in a kitchen cupboard or cabinet. This could potentially mean that the person speaking is planning to make a drink or use the rum in some way.

4. Is there a deeper meaning behind this statement?

Without further context or information, it is impossible to determine if there is a deeper meaning behind this statement. It could simply be a casual comment in a conversation or could have a hidden metaphorical meaning depending on the context.

5. How does this statement relate to science?

This statement does not appear to have any direct relation to science. However, as a scientist, I could potentially analyze the statement in terms of linguistics or cultural references. I could also use this statement as a starting point for a research project on language or communication patterns.