Velocity of 15 lb Turkey's Airbag Impact on Table

• Thread starter alphanerd132
  • Start date
  • Tags
    velocity
In summary, a video was watched where a car airbag was placed under a Thanksgiving turkey as a joke. When the airbag was activated, it launched the turkey at such a high velocity that it hit the ceiling and broke the table. The question is how much force did the airbag apply on the table, assuming the turkey weighed 15 lbs and the car in the video was linked. The issue at hand is the inability to find information on the strength of the airbag when activated.
alphanerd132
I watched a video where someone as a joke put a car airbag under a thanks giving turkey. When he set off the airbag, it went at such a velocity that it hit the ceiling of the room. After they looked at the table, (seen here at 5:49) the airbag went off with such a force that it broke the table. My question is, how much force did the airbag apply on the table? To fill in a few of the variables, let's just say it is a 15 lbs turkey. Another variable is that if someone can find the info, the car was shown in the video as well that I linked.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the issue the fact that you can't get the info of how strong the airbag is when it goes off? I have the same issue and can not get the info my self.

1. What is the velocity of a 15 lb turkey's airbag impact on a table?

The velocity of a 15 lb turkey's airbag impact on a table depends on several factors such as the height from which the turkey is dropped, the materials and construction of the table, and the angle at which the turkey hits the table. Without specific parameters, it is difficult to determine an exact velocity.

2. Does a 15 lb turkey's airbag impact on a table cause damage?

Yes, a 15 lb turkey's airbag impact on a table can cause damage. The force of the impact can potentially break or crack the table, especially if it is made of a fragile material like glass or ceramic. It can also cause items on the table to shift or topple over.

3. How does the velocity of a 15 lb turkey's airbag impact on a table compare to other objects?

The velocity of a 15 lb turkey's airbag impact on a table can vary greatly depending on the circumstances. However, it is generally not as high as the velocity of a heavier object, such as a bowling ball, dropped from the same height. This is because the turkey has a larger surface area and more air resistance, which slows down its descent.

4. Can the velocity of a 15 lb turkey's airbag impact on a table be calculated?

Yes, the velocity of a 15 lb turkey's airbag impact on a table can be calculated using the principles of physics. However, as mentioned before, specific parameters such as the height, materials, and angle of impact are needed to accurately calculate the velocity.

5. How can the impact of a 15 lb turkey's airbag on a table be minimized?

The impact of a 15 lb turkey's airbag on a table can be minimized by using a sturdy and stable table made of materials that are less likely to break, such as wood or metal. The turkey can also be dropped from a lower height to reduce the force of the impact. Additionally, placing a cushion or tablecloth on the table can help absorb some of the impact.