Arranging & Combining Equations (problem!)

• Thread starter drsponge
  • Start date
Figured it out!

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

P = aR2T4
and
E = p / bd2

(a and b are constants.)

Homework Equations

If these two equations are combined and rearranged an expression can be derived for a/b:
a / b = Ed2 / R2T4

Show how this has been done, step by step.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to begin & I can't find good instruction anywhere on how to handle this.
An obvious first step would be to divide each side of the first equation by the corresponding side of the second equation.

Homework Statement

P = aR2T4
and
E = p / bd2

(a and b are constants.)

Homework Equations

If these two equations are combined and rearranged an expression can be derived for a/b:
a / b = Ed2 / R2T4

Show how this has been done, step by step.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to begin & I can't find good instruction anywhere on how to handle this.

Are little p and big P the same variable? In the final equation they don't appear so I would assume you solve for P in one equation and plug it into the other equation for P.

Are little p and big P the same variable? In the final equation they don't appear so I would assume you solve for P in one equation and plug it into the other equation for P.

Sorry they're the same variable.

An obvious first step would be to divide each side of the first equation by the corresponding side of the second equation.

I don't know how this would go though? Divide both sides by P / bd2 to give bd2 = aR2T4 / p / bd2?