Array variable of envelope function (parameter representation)

In summary, you should be able to consider the envelope of a family of curves by considering the curve defined by the parameter within that range.
mk3
Hi, I have a question regarding the envelope function in parameter representation.

Let an array of curves in cartesian coordinates be given in parameter representation, with curve parameter 𝑑 and array variable 𝑐
π‘₯=π‘₯(𝑑,𝑐)
𝑦=𝑦(𝑑,𝑐)

Condition for envelope is:
πœ•/πœ•π‘‘ π‘₯(𝑑,𝑐) πœ•/πœ•π‘ 𝑦(𝑑,𝑐)=πœ•/πœ•π‘ π‘₯(𝑑,𝑐) πœ•/πœ•π‘‘ 𝑦(𝑑,𝑐)

Solving this equation will give a relationship how the array variable 𝑐 depends on the curve parameter 𝑑 along the envelope:
𝑐_𝑒𝑛𝑣 (𝑑)=Ξ¨(𝑑)

But now here comes the question.

What if i want not the envelope of all array variables. Instead I want for example c from 0.5...1.0. How can I consider this in the function?
The target would be to give a limit for c.

Would be great to get a hint for that.

BG
MK

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mk3 said:
Hi, I have a question regarding the envelope function in parameter representation.
When you say 'envelope function' are you talking about this or this?

mk3 said:
Let an array of curves in cartesian coordinates be given in parameter representation, with curve parameter 𝑑 and array variable 𝑐
What do you mean by 'array' and 'array variable'?

mk3 said:
Condition for envelope is:
πœ•/πœ•π‘‘ π‘₯(𝑑,𝑐) πœ•/πœ•π‘ 𝑦(𝑑,𝑐)=πœ•/πœ•π‘ π‘₯(𝑑,𝑐) πœ•/πœ•π‘‘ 𝑦(𝑑,𝑐)
What do you mean by ## \dfrac \partial {\partial c} ##? You have said that ## c ## is an 'array variable'; whatever that is it doesn't sound like something you could differentiate with respect to.

mk3 said:
What if i want not the envelope of all array variables. Instead I want for example c from 0.5...1.0. How can I consider this in the function?
Ok, now you've completely lost me: what is an 'array variable' that can take non-integer values?

Oh I think I see where the confusion lies, let me check.

You are talking about the envelope of a family of curves. We don't call this an 'envelope function' because the envolope is often not a function.

I think you are confused by the reference to a 'parameter' in relation to the family of curves. This has nothing to do with any parametric representation of individual curves within the family. I am not sure where you learned this stuff from but I think you need to go back over it.

When you have done that you should see that your final question translates to "what if i want not the envelope of all curves in the family. Instead I want for example the curves defined by the parameter ## c \in [0.5, 1 ]##?"
You should be able to answer this question by considering the definition of an envelope as a curve satisfying $$ F(c, x, y) = \dfrac \partial {\partial c} F(c, x, y) = 0 $$
If we restrict the values of ## c ## to a range then how does this affect the curve?

Note that I have kept to your use of the parameter ## c ## instead of the more usual ## t ##. Also rather than writing ## x = x(c, t) ## etc it would be better to specify an individual member of the family of curves as
$$
f_c = \begin{cases}
x = x_c(t) \\
y = y_c(t)
\end{cases}
$$

Likes BvU

1. What is an array variable of envelope function?

An array variable of envelope function is a data structure that stores a collection of values for the parameters that define the shape of an envelope function. It allows for efficient storage and manipulation of these parameters for use in scientific calculations and simulations.

2. How is an array variable of envelope function different from a regular array?

An array variable of envelope function is different from a regular array in that it is specifically designed to store and manipulate parameters for envelope functions. It may have additional methods and functions that are tailored for this purpose, making it more efficient and convenient for scientific use.

3. What are the benefits of using an array variable of envelope function?

Using an array variable of envelope function can provide several benefits for scientists. It allows for easy storage and manipulation of parameters for envelope functions, making it more efficient and accurate for scientific calculations. It also allows for quick access to these parameters, which can save time and effort in data analysis.

4. How do you create an array variable of envelope function?

To create an array variable of envelope function, you would first need to define the parameters that define the shape of the envelope function. Then, you can use a programming language to create an array data structure and assign the parameters to it. This will create an array variable of envelope function that can be used for scientific calculations.

5. Can an array variable of envelope function be used for other types of functions?

While an array variable of envelope function is specifically designed for envelope functions, it can potentially be used for other types of functions as well. However, it may not be as efficient or accurate for these other functions, so it is best to use it for its intended purpose of storing and manipulating envelope function parameters.