1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ARRRH I'm gonna explode. This is my pet hate!

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1

uart

Science Advisor

Does anyone else get really mad when they see stupid videos making stupid claims like this one. Sorry I just had to have a rant about it. :grumpy:

See : http://www.flixxy.com/zero-pollution-automobile.htm

PS. Make sure you watch that last 30 seconds, it's got the real kicker.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2
    What a joke... So many people will eat this up too. Way to go Michiu Kaku.... (I think that was his voice, right?)

4. Feb 5, 2010 #3

uart

Science Advisor

You're right on the point there denni. If people didn't "eat it up" as you say then I'd just think of it as a joke. But people are really taken in by stuff like this - confidently delivered yet absolute complete rubbish!

5. Feb 5, 2010 #4
    hard to believe they say things like that , like they think they can get free energy

6. Feb 5, 2010 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

A fool and his money are soon parted.
    $15k ?- I ask yer.

7. Feb 5, 2010 #6
    uart...worthwhile ranting about...like IPCC claims....

8. Feb 5, 2010 #7
    "It's always easier to be a skeptic than to think in a positive way."
    This is certainly one of the top 5 most retarded things I ever heard.

9. Feb 5, 2010 #8
    No, the voice at the end making the ridiculous perpetuum mobile claim is not Kaku. And I'm guessing Kaku is pretty displeased about having that statement in a show he has contributed to.

The beginning of the video is OK, it simply stores energy in the form of compressed air. Nothing new there. I think this method is too dangerous for widespread use (explosions during car accidents...).

Torquil

10. Feb 5, 2010 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

The problem with compressed air is, surely, the inefficiency due to heating the air when you're compressing it. All that energy is lost after a short while and the compressed gas cools down to ambient. I suppose you could heat your house with this heat if you charge up in the evenings. (Presupposes that you want to share your living room with a vehicle.)
    Nice and quiet though. Ideal for early morning deliveries and for mowing down pedestrians who can't hear you.

11. Feb 5, 2010 #10

uart

Science Advisor

And low pollution at the point of operation. I've seen pneumatic vehicles in niche applications like fork-lifts and motorized trolleys, primarily operating in confined or poorly ventilated areas where the fumes from internal combustion engines are objectionable. I think that even these applications will soon give way to electric vehicles, given their rapid improvement.

12. Feb 7, 2010 #11
    iv seen it on a news broadcast it looked like a toy and sounded like a toy (or a toy box getting shaken hard)but it does work,and if you look at how the first combustion engines looked compared to now,the main thing if isues with compressing enough air in to smaller stronger storage tanks,could be over come (like in to frame work),think of what goes in to a car battery,what is lost in charging it and cost to replace it,1000 mad idears can trigger off 1 good idear,so i say keep them idears going keep thinking,then dont let the goverment know or he will tax you for it :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook