Artificial intelligence.

• Thread starter munky99999
  • Start date
Panpsychism is will?

I think that, given a complete understanding of an individual's personality, true "free will" would be completely deterministic.
And that takes us into the realm of consciousness for an "individual" and all of which compose one, i.e. panpsychism, an area coming onto the scene of science once again by philosophers.

I don't believe in free will, in fact what I am writing right now is based on more nuerons in my brain wanting to write this, than those that want not to. How my neurons got into that position, I am not sure, based on random events I suppose. But what is random? Randomness is events that happen in such a way as to have no meaningful effect on the outcome. But having no meaningful effect does not mean there is no effect, and that is the reason there is no free will. But hey we can pretend we have free will right, and maybe that is all that matters.

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's true that digital computers are finite state machines, and thus are deterministic. You cannot write a computer program that produces truly random numbers.

So what?

You can connect a source of "true" randomness to your computer -- a piece of hardware like a thermal diode or a Geiger counter -- to have your cake and eat it too. The generation of truly random numbers is critical in cryptography, and it's largely a solved problem these days. Some computers even come pre-equipped with hardware true random number generators.

- Warren

we can pretend we have free will right, and maybe that is all that matters.
We imagine it, like most other animals that have a requirement to learn about their environment -how they fit into it, so to speak.

Choice, say between resting somewhere, and looking for something to eat, come under the realm of behaviour mechanisms. So that's another thing you can call it. It's a behaviour mechanism with survival in mind.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just a note: This thread started out when we had the Mind & Brain forum, and since it has gained renewed interest, I've moved it from what is now Medical Sciences to Philosophy since the heart of this discussion appears to be more philosophical than anything else.

Because the universe started at a single point, everything in the universe can be traced back to that point, and because everything is based on cause and effect nothing is really random. Everything is based on what happened since the universe started at that single point and all the interactions (based on cause and effect) since then, therefore everything is deterministic, but only the universe itself is a big enough computer to actually determine the future.

Because the universe started at a single point, everything in the universe can be traced back to that point, and because everything is based on cause and effect nothing is really random. Everything is based on what happened since the universe started at that single point and all the interactions (based on cause and effect) since then, therefore everything is deterministic, but only the universe itself is a big enough computer to actually determine the future.
Unfortunately, you have probably never heard of quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, irreversibly etc.

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~ldb/seminar/laplace.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
jim mcnamara
Mentor
moridin is right, but you may want to realize what you're discussing transcends disciplines.
m. already pointed out the scientific problems with your statement.

So, let's try this:

John Calvin's Predestination matches what you are discussing. He applied an early idea of a deterministic universe where God is your "computer" to discuss what became of people and their souls. This is more of a philosophical or theological approach to determinism than trying to use big bang theory to describe it.