Artists use a type of sealant to keep their paintings

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, the conversation is about finding a sealant that can preserve a potato for a long time. The goal is to use the potato as a decoration, specifically as a candle holder. Suggestions for sealants include shellac, lucite, and Elmer's glue, but there are concerns about their effectiveness and appearance.
KingNothing
Hi. What I'm looking for is some sort of sealant that will be completely airtight. A liquid.

The idea is to be able to cut a potato in half and completely cover it in some sort of sealant so that it stays that way for a very very long time. I know artists use a type of sealant to keep their paintings and such, but could that really preserve food? I was thinking of maybe using that with an outer coat of epoxy or superglue.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the goal in preseving the potato? If it's going to be eaten it'll make a difference what you'd want to use.

No, I actually intend on carving something out of it. (a candle holder representing my undying love for potatoes)

I'm unsubscribing from this thread now.

Shellac would probably do what you want.

Potatoes have a very high water content, I don't think shellac would last long, unless it was really thick. You could have it enshrined in lucite.

I've never used shellac, so don't know the limitations of it. I thought the idea was to put lots and lots and lots of coats on something to preserve it.

Why not use Elmer's glue?

Elmer's doesn't dry clear enough and would be hard to get an even yet complete coat. I don't think it could really stand the test of time, either. In addition, I have heard that as a person Elmer is somewhat dry and lacking in enthusiasm. That is not the kind of man I want to support.

1. Why do artists use a type of sealant on their paintings?

Artists use sealants to protect their paintings from environmental factors such as dust, dirt, moisture, and UV rays. It also helps preserve the colors and prevent fading over time.

2. What is the purpose of using a sealant on paintings?

The main purpose of using a sealant is to protect the painting's surface and extend its lifespan. It also adds a layer of gloss or matte finish, depending on the artist's preference.

3. How does a sealant protect a painting?

A sealant acts as a barrier between the painting and the outside elements. It prevents moisture from seeping into the canvas and protects against UV rays, which can cause fading and discoloration.

4. Is there a specific type of sealant that artists use?

There are different types of sealants that artists use, depending on the type of painting and the desired finish. Some common sealants include varnish, wax, and fixative, each with their own unique properties and uses.

5. Do all paintings need to be sealed?

Not all paintings need to be sealed, as it ultimately depends on the artist's preference and the type of medium used. For example, oil paintings are more prone to cracking and yellowing over time, so most artists choose to seal them. On the other hand, some artists prefer to leave their watercolor paintings unsealed to maintain a more natural look.