Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Artists use a type of sealant to keep their paintings

1. Mar 9, 2006 #1
    Hi. What I'm looking for is some sort of sealant that will be completely airtight. A liquid.

The idea is to be able to cut a potato in half and completely cover it in some sort of sealant so that it stays that way for a very very long time. I know artists use a type of sealant to keep their paintings and such, but could that really preserve food? I was thinking of maybe using that with an outer coat of epoxy or superglue.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2006 #2
    What's the goal in preseving the potato? If it's going to be eaten it'll make a difference what you'd want to use.

4. Mar 9, 2006 #3
    No, I actually intend on carving something out of it. (a candle holder representing my undying love for potatoes)

5. Mar 9, 2006 #4
    I'm unsubscribing from this thread now.

6. Mar 9, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shellac would probably do what you want.

7. Mar 9, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Potatoes have a very high water content, I don't think shellac would last long, unless it was really thick. You could have it enshrined in lucite.

8. Mar 9, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never used shellac, so don't know the limitations of it. I thought the idea was to put lots and lots and lots of coats on something to preserve it.

9. Mar 9, 2006 #8

Mk

Why not use Elmer's glue?

10. Mar 9, 2006 #9
    Elmer's doesn't dry clear enough and would be hard to get an even yet complete coat. I don't think it could really stand the test of time, either. In addition, I have heard that as a person Elmer is somewhat dry and lacking in enthusiasm. That is not the kind of man I want to support.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?