Artists use a type of sealant to keep their paintings

Hi. What I'm looking for is some sort of sealant that will be completely airtight. A liquid.

The idea is to be able to cut a potato in half and completely cover it in some sort of sealant so that it stays that way for a very very long time. I know artists use a type of sealant to keep their paintings and such, but could that really preserve food? I was thinking of maybe using that with an outer coat of epoxy or superglue.

Answers and Replies

What's the goal in preseving the potato? If it's going to be eaten it'll make a difference what you'd want to use.

No, I actually intend on carving something out of it. (a candle holder representing my undying love for potatoes)

I'm unsubscribing from this thread now.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Shellac would probably do what you want.

Evo
Mentor
Potatoes have a very high water content, I don't think shellac would last long, unless it was really thick. You could have it enshrined in lucite.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've never used shellac, so don't know the limitations of it. I thought the idea was to put lots and lots and lots of coats on something to preserve it.

Mk
Why not use Elmer's glue?

Elmer's doesn't dry clear enough and would be hard to get an even yet complete coat. I don't think it could really stand the test of time, either. In addition, I have heard that as a person Elmer is somewhat dry and lacking in enthusiasm. That is not the kind of man I want to support.