As a MechE, which path should I follow for robotics?

In summary, the speaker is currently a sophomore studying Mechanical Engineering in college. They initially had an interest in the aerospace industry, but it has since shifted towards control systems and robotics. They have been pursuing robotics as a hobby and have developed an interest in circuits, electronics, and programming. However, their university does not offer a program specifically for robotics. They are seeking advice on what skills and competencies to develop in order to work in the robotics field after graduation. They are currently studying control systems and have some experience with microcontrollers and programming, however, they are looking for further recommendations on courses to take and disciplines within the Mechanical Engineering department that would be relevant to robotics.
ramzerimar
I'm now at my sophomore year in college, studying Mechanical Engineering. When I chose this field, I was interested in things like aircrafts and my main goal was working in the aerospace industry. This interest has shifted towards control systems/robotics since then. I started dealing with robotics as a hobby, and meanwhile developed a huge interest in circuits, electronics and programming. Unfortunately, my university doesn't have any program strictly related to robotics.
My question is: what kinds of competencies and skills should I develop to start working in this area after undergrad school? I'm looking towards which courses I should pick up, and what disciplines of the MechE department would be more important in this area. I'm already studying control systems, and I've found it a very interesting field to learn, with all the mathematics involved.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you should get some experience working with microcontrollers as well as some decent programming experience if you don't have a strong programming background.

Likes ramzerimar
axmls said:
Perhaps you should get some experience working with microcontrollers as well as some decent programming experience if you don't have a strong programming background.
Thank you for the fast answer. In fact, I have some basic C and I'm right now studying Python. As the microcontrollers, I've started tinkering with an Arduino since the beginning of the year, and recently I've developed a basic collision-avoidance robot using arduino and some sensors!

1. What is the difference between a Mechanical Engineer and a Robotics Engineer?

While both Mechanical Engineers (MechE) and Robotics Engineers work with designing and building mechanical systems, Robotics Engineers focus specifically on creating robots and their components. MechE's have a broader scope and may work on a variety of mechanical systems, including robots.

2. Should I choose a specialization in Robotics during my undergraduate studies or pursue it in graduate school?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. Pursuing a specialization in Robotics during your undergraduate studies can provide you with a strong foundation in the field and make you a more competitive job candidate. However, you can also choose to pursue it at the graduate level if you decide to shift your focus later on.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in programming to pursue a career in robotics as a MechE?

While having a background in programming can be beneficial, it is not necessary to have one to pursue a career in robotics as a MechE. Many MechE's work closely with robotics engineers and computer scientists to design and build robots, and you can also learn programming skills on the job or through additional courses.

4. What skills should I focus on developing to excel in the field of robotics as a MechE?

Aside from technical skills in mechanics and electrical systems, it is essential to have strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Additionally, having experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software and knowledge of programming languages can also be advantageous.

5. What industries can I work in as a MechE specializing in robotics?

Mechanical engineers with a specialization in robotics can work in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, aerospace, healthcare, and defense. They can also work in research and development, designing and testing new robotic technologies for various applications.