Which path should i follow and is a minor worth it?

In summary, the speaker is currently studying electrical engineering and is unsure which stream to focus on. They are interested in digital electronics, software/hardware, and energy systems, but also want to secure a decent job and enjoy their work. They are considering following two streams at the same time and choosing a degree at the end. However, they are also considering a minor in engineering business, which would require taking economics courses at a higher level and replacing some elective courses. The speaker is seeking advice on which streams to follow and whether a minor is worth pursuing.
rave62
Hello,

I am currently in engineering (Electrical Eng), but i already have issues with which stream i should focus on, right now these are my interests are:

digital electronics, software/hardware,energy system:control, and energy system:high power.

As anyone i want to secure a decent job and to enjoy what i do. But i want to continue on both electronics and software, but energy systems have very promising jobs, mainly with transmission and hydro.

So i am at a cross-path, i am not so sure which one to go into, but the university would allow me to follow two streams (eg. digital electronics and software eng) at the same time and would allow me to choose which degree i want at the end.

But here comes another problem, a minor..most minors they offered did not interest me, but recently they introduced a new one "Engineering Business".

if i decide to have a minor in "Engineering Business" i would have to take economics courses, but most are at a 2nd to 4th year level, which would replace the elective courses i have currently chosen (most are 1st year [want a better average :) ]).so i have two questions at the end, which streams should i follow? and is a minor worth getting it?

Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help? :(

1. What factors should I consider when deciding which career path to follow?

There are many factors to consider when deciding which career path to follow. Some important ones include your interests, skills, values, salary expectations, job market demand, and potential for growth and advancement.

2. How do I know if a minor is worth pursuing?

A minor may be worth pursuing if it aligns with your career goals and enhances your skills and knowledge in a specific area. It can also make you stand out to potential employers and provide a well-rounded education. However, if it does not add value or is too time-consuming, it may not be worth it.

3. Can a minor benefit my career even if it is not directly related to my major?

Yes, a minor can still benefit your career even if it is not directly related to your major. It can demonstrate your versatility and ability to excel in different subjects, which can be appealing to employers. It can also provide a unique perspective and additional skills that may complement your major.

4. Is it better to have a minor or a double major?

This depends on your career goals and personal preferences. A minor may be more beneficial if it is directly related to your desired career field and complements your major. A double major can be advantageous if you want to pursue a career that requires knowledge in both areas or if you have a specific passion for both subjects.

5. Can I switch career paths after completing a minor?

Yes, you can switch career paths after completing a minor. A minor can provide additional skills and knowledge that may be applicable to various fields. It can also demonstrate your adaptability and willingness to learn, which can be valuable to employers.