Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

As a programmer what are some important things to know?

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    Specifically,

What are some important things to learn about:

memory management, and about; exploring operating systems.

Thank you for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2013 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey EntropicLove.

I'd recommend learning about memory management systems, and the partitioning and design of memory with respect to the kernel, OS application, and other application levels.

I'd recommend you look at the device driver framework for modern OS platforms and I would also suggest you look at multi-threaded paradigms at both the kernel and application level.

Finally, take a look at the modern data structures that the kernel uses for I/O, networking, memory management, application execution, system and application libraries, system executables, and cache management.

Since the linux kernel is fully available open source, this will give you a real repository to look into and if you can find a decent guide, then it will keep you busy for a while.

4. Mar 16, 2013 #3
    Wow Thanks Chiro for your thorough answer.

I suspected my question was too broad.

5. Mar 17, 2013 #4
    Since everything in the world is on the net, or will be soon, and since everything on the net is under attack, this seems like it would be important to know:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/book.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook