As close as possible, without touching

• I
  • Thread starter Warp
  • Start date
In summary, according to the snooker rule, when a nominated colour is potted, the player scores the appropriate number of points and the colour is then placed on its original spot by the referee. If that spot is covered, the ball is placed on the highest available spot, and if there is no spot available, it is placed as close as possible to its original spot without touching another ball. However, in the context of physics and mathematics, the term "touching" is not well-defined and can lead to ambiguous questions. This has been discussed in the quantum mechanics section and has been a topic of re-calibration in the history of physics.
Warp
Snooker rule:

"When the nominated colour is potted, the player will be awarded the correct number of points. The colour is then taken out of the pocket by the referee and placed on its original spot. If that spot is covered by another ball, the ball is placed on the highest available spot. If there is no available spot, it is placed as close to its own spot as possible in a direct line between that spot and the top cushion, without touching another ball."

So, how close is "as close as possible without touching another ball" in terms of physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Touching" isn't a well defined physics term.

Dale said:
"Touching" isn't a well defined physics term.
"As close as possible without touching" does not work in mathematics either.

Likes Dale
This is an interesting phenomenon in Nature. Like the paradox of crossing a road taking 1/2 the length then 1/2 of that and so on. In purely mathematical terms we of course never get to the end. And similarly, there is no "closest" real number to the number 1. Physically however, I suppose molecular orbitals get in the way of each other when we press two objects close to one another and perhaps the strength of those orbitals dictates just how close is "as close as possible". Maybe this would be an interesting question to pose in the Quantum Mechanics section?

Last edited:
aheight said:
This is an interesting phenomenon in Nature. Like the paradox of crossing a road taking 1/2 the length then 1/2 of that and so on. In purely mathematical terms we of course never get to the end as there is no "closest" real number to the number 1. Physically however, I suppose molecular orbitals get in the way of each other when we press two objects close to one another and perhaps the strength of those orbitals dictates just how close is "as close as possible". Maybe this would be an interesting question to pose in the Quantum Mechanics section?

This HAS been posted there. In fact, if you do a search, there have been several incarnations and re-incarnations of this type of question throughout the years.

The issue here isn't what happens when atoms get closer, materials get closer etc... We study that and we know what happens in many cases. The problem with this type of question is the DEFINITION of what the OP is asking. As has been stated, the question made use of the word "touch", which we ALL know the meaning of in everyday life. However, in the context of physics, it HAS to be defined. Often times, in cases like this, the question has no valid meaning (it is like asking "how soft is 5 meters?").

Usually, question like this is a great introduction to new members, and non-scientists to start being aware of the nature of the question that is being asked. Physics had to this type of re-calibration many times in its history. It is a good exercise for everyone else as well.

Zz.

Likes Dale
ZapperZ said:
This HAS been posted there. In fact, if you do a search, there have been several incarnations and re-incarnations of this type of question throughout the years.
Ok, here's one: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/circle-sphere-touching.845552/#post-5303541

The wave functions extend to infinity so in this regard, I suppose the matter of "touching" is not a well-defined (discrete) event.

"... without touching" is context sensitive. In this case you may assume a piece of paper. It is only meant as to guarantee that the according red ball can be played without having to move the colored ball.

@ Ronnie: I'm not very confident after your performance yesterday with this rather risky kind of your play, but I wish you the best for the sixth!

1. What does "as close as possible, without touching" mean?

"As close as possible, without touching" refers to being in close proximity to something or someone without making physical contact. It implies maintaining a safe distance while still being as close as possible.

2. Why is it important to maintain this distance?

Maintaining a safe distance is important for a variety of reasons. It helps prevent the spread of germs and diseases, ensures personal space and boundaries are respected, and can prevent accidents or injuries.

3. Can you provide examples of situations where this rule may apply?

Examples of situations where this rule may apply include standing in line, walking on a crowded street, or interacting with someone who is sick or injured. It can also apply to objects or equipment that may be dangerous or sensitive.

4. Is there a specific distance that is considered "as close as possible, without touching"?

The specific distance may vary depending on the situation and context. In general, it is recommended to maintain a distance of at least 6 feet (2 meters) to prevent the spread of germs and diseases.

5. How can I politely enforce this rule if someone is not respecting my personal space?

If someone is not respecting your personal space, you can politely remind them of the rule by saying something like "Excuse me, could you please maintain a safe distance?" or by physically moving away from them. It is important to communicate your boundaries clearly and respectfully.