1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle/Sphere touching

1. Nov 28, 2015 #1
    Theoretically, if you had a perfect circle, and a perfectly flat surface, wouldn't only one atom touch at a time (assuming friction can't take away the perfect circle/flat surface)? Personally this doesn't sound right, but I can't think of why it wouldn't.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2015 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If they are made from atoms, how can they be perfectly flat or circular?

4. Nov 29, 2015 #3
    What do you mean by "touch"? That term does not have a clear meaning at the atomic scale.

5. Nov 29, 2015 #4
    As close as possible. I'm not very knowledgeable of physics, so feel free to explain.

6. Nov 29, 2015 #5
    When I say perfectly round/flat, I mean as round or flat as atoms can get. I understand that because of the electron cloud, the round or flat part can never be the same.

7. Nov 29, 2015 #6

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Then you've answered your own question. "As round or flat as atoms can get" is not the same thing as "perfectly exactly geometrically round or flat" so you already know that you cannot reason about this system as if it were perfectly flat and perfectly round.

8. Nov 29, 2015 #7
    What is the difference?

9. Nov 29, 2015 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

reread you own answer in post #5

Dave

10. Nov 30, 2015 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

So....as round as atoms can get means that on the atomic scale, the circle looks pretty flat, just as the round earth looks pretty flat to our eyes.

11. Nov 30, 2015 #10

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you understand that on the particle level you just have electron clouds, wobbling atoms and varying force fields, then you should see how pointless it is to ask questions based on idealized geometric shapes.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  12. Nov 30, 2015 #11

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

+1

http://sciencequestionswithsurprisinganswers.org/2013/04/16/do-atoms-ever-actually-touch-each-other/

13. Nov 30, 2015 #12

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook